Domain name registrars: what's the best?

MDLarson

Registered
If I'm posting in the wrong place, please move me!

I'd like to register my unique .com domain name somewhere, and I am reluctant to use Network Solutions because of their akward user interface and very crappy support. Their yearly fees are the $35 per year typical of most other registrars, I think.

I know a lot of you have your own domain name, and I'd like to secure my own backup email system in case Apple continues with their .Mac thing. I'd rather pay for my own setup than pay [more] for something I just can't control.

Thanks,

-Matt Larson

look at
www.hostonce.com
it has unlimited hosting space and email addresses along with a free domain name for only 60 bucks a year. quite a good deal if I do say so myself. However its not for you if you ONLY want a domain name. in that case, try www.domainsnext.com

but I think you should check out hostonce.com

Hostonce.com looks like a great deal from what I see, but I thought I'd share what I've experienced. I bought my domain for $15/year from dotster.com which has been excellent so far, although the best deal for domain registrar I'm now aware of is godaddy.com ($9/year). My site itself is hosted by phpwebhosting.com which offers pretty much everything you could possibly need in terms of features. Support has been perfect and extremely quick from that site, and is done straight through the web within one or two days. For $10/month it isn't as cheap as hostonce.com, but I have been very happy with it.

icdsoft.com costs $5 a year, but its a web hosting company so you have to pay $60 for web hosting, though the resources they have are incredible, including 24hr free (yes free) very fast tech support. Incredible people i must say! (I use them for my websites)

Originally posted by newzworld
icdsoft.com costs $5 a year, but its a web hosting company so you have to pay $60 for web hosting, though the resources they have are incredible, including 24hr free (yes free) very fast tech support. Incredible people i must say! (I use them for my websites)

Holy crap this looks awesome! Thanks!!

Twister

they really dont give themselves credit, if you ask them for ssh access, the will give you an account and that way you can do pretty much WHATEVER YOU NEED TO, their support also beats everyone else. beats paying register.com $35 a year for JUST a domain name! goto www.icdsoft.com everyone it is by far the best webhosting. (no devoted servers yet) (say that the owner of newzworld.com referred you!)

Except that hostonce.com has unlimited storage space and bandwidth and unlimited email addresses etc. for $5 a month including a free for life domain name.

Originally posted by xaqintosh
Except that hostonce.com has unlimited storage space and bandwidth and unlimited email addresses etc. for $5 a month including a free for life domain name.

do you use them? or how do you know (other than because it says so).

Hey newzworld

I sent you a PM but i don't know if you got it. I was just wondering about your icdsoft.com account. I was just wondering if you actually get EVERYTHING they advertise or if you get a base account and can add more of the features from there for more $$. I'm just checking around before i jump in.

Thanks
Twister

i jumped in :D

very fast set up, im happy so far

the only downsides i can see so far are that ssh access looks like it costs extra money despite being on the list of features for an account (ill probably get it anyway) and that i cant access their web tools from behind my work firewall (they block, not me)

Fast?! Easy?! Fun?!

Keep me informed. I'm on the verge of jumpin' in. I did know that SSH costs more because if you click on that link it says it does. Course i don't exactly know what SSH is. :eek: But you have everything else it states? 333Mb?

Sorry for all the questions. I just ask a lot before i buy anything over $10. It's my moms fault. I got it from her. ;)

Thanks
Twister

Originally posted by twister

do you use them? or how do you know (other than because it says so).

I have just tried Hostonce.com. I ordered on Monday (it is now Saturday) and have still not been set up with an account! They say that they will set it up in 24 hours. I sent numerous support requests which haven't recieved any response (they promise fast tech support).

I would suggest not using hostonce.

-JARinteractive

gandi.net

Good interface, good price.. 12 euros per year.. about 12.00 right now. Was better when the dollar was better. I have about 125 domains with them and for over a year now.

I do hosting as well and I have set up a few sites already for .Mac refugees. So, one tip, find a host that gives you pop and web mail included in the site. Web mail is great when cant get to/setup and email program.

ok ive got a web page started and all i want to get is a domain name... no server, just the name... just a plain and simple re-direct to my .mac homepage so people can have an easy to remember ___.com instead of homepage.mac.com/satanicpoptart

Back