Don't Get Your Mac Jacked - iAlertU

Veljo

Mac Enthusiast
A friend of mine linked me to this, thought some of you would get a kick out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkAtRfA1UXc

Apparently this guy utilized the MacBook Pro's SMS feature to get this working. Not sure if it's real or fake, so make your own judgement.

(By the way if this is in the wrong forum feel free to move it, I wasn't sure where it should go)

That's great. I can imagine getting some suprised remarks when somebody tries using your MacBook when you're not there... hehe...

One question was left unanswered: what happens if the thief closes the lid as the computer rests peacefully? No one would try to carry a laptop unfolded, right? If the alarm remains on as the computer is being carried, it will certainly make a muffled sound... but will it be loud enough?

That's why you need our new product! Introducing MacBlinder.

Our hardware and software requires you to enter a password before it even boots the OS. After 3 tries, it sprays a semi-lethal acid out of the microphone hole into the face of the would be (and soon to be disfigured) thief. Better yet, the acid spray pattern will burn an "X" across the face of the thief.

But wait! Order right now and MacBlinder will enable your volume to max out at eleven. You read that right! Your laptop will be ONE louder than any other non-MacBlinder equipped laptop.

You'll still lose your laptop, but you have the satisfaction of knowing that the poor bastard will pay more than you ever did for the laptop.

MacBlinder * Don't get mad, get MORE than even!

*You must provide your own insurance to use this product. This product must be installed by MacBlinder, LLC. MacBlinder is compatible with PPC and Intel based macs. MacBlinder, LLC not liable in the event of personal injury lawsuits.

(Ok, I'm done now :D)

Seriously speaking, I believe IAlertU is a real product currently in Beta. Not a bad idea at all. If it's cheap, at least you can claim on your insurance that you have an anti-theft device on your computer.

Dusky said:
One question was left unanswered: what happens if the thief closes the lid as the computer rests peacefully? No one would try to carry a laptop unfolded, right? If the alarm remains on as the computer is being carried, it will certainly make a muffled sound... but will it be loud enough?

We did a test of iAlertU at my Apple Store yesterday, and here's what we found:

1) Yes the Alarm will still go off when the lid on your MBP is closed

2) hitting the mute key will NOT turn off the alarm

3) hitting the volume down WILL quiet the sound (unless it goes all the way down to mute, then it goes back to full volume)

4) The car alarm noise is NOT very loud

5) the car alarm sounds are fun to play with

So... if you install this, your MacBook Pro will cease to sleep when the lid's closed, causing the battery to drain in a matter of a few hours... ? :confused:

LOL.. At the website.. "www.ialertU.com" he has already started on working on an update that will stop a theif turning the volume down, etc.

Back