don't like ipod - so?

ja2661

Registered
I am n ot fond of the ipod, but I do have an mp3 player that I do like - the problem is that I can fit more wma files on the 1 gig player than mp3s. So is there a import program that will take cds into wma or convert mp3 into wma - I noticed that windows had media player for apple now - I've looked at music match (who i thought had a mac version) but they don't seem to.

thanks

WMA stands for "Windows[ Media - Audio." ("Windows" being the key word here -- we all know how they are!) There are plug-ins for QuickTime Pro that will let you export WMA and WMV files, but they cost money. There may or may not be other ways to create/convert WMA files on the Mac.

Manipulating WMA files on a Mac is flaky, at best. If you like WMA that much, I would recommend doing the conversion on a Windows PC.

i asked why, because i'm sure you're missing out on a lot of the reasons people buy macs, the ipod works so well with itunes, and itunes is so much better on the mac, where it isn't bloated, and doesn't have a huge memory footprint. it's seamless integration. the only reason i can see people wanting to use an alternative to ipod with a mac are the professional audiophiles who need things like hardware encoding, dedicated line in and out, ogg vorbis etc codec support, and full control over their music. these are a very small percentage of people, though, and have to put up with the clunky way these multiperpose players handle music. get an ipod and relax.

also WMA is an awful audio compressor, that cares more about compression than the audio.

My wife is currently using my iPod mini when she goes to the gym. She wants to get a portable music player, but the iPod right now is a little pricey and she wants something with a screen. I noticed that the OS X version of iTunes supports various other players as well as the iPod, but she wants to use this on a Windows computer since she's more of a Windows user than anything. I was hoping that the same support would be available on the Windows version of iTunes just as it would be on the OS X version, but apparently that's not the case. It's only to be used with the iPod on Windows computers. Does anyone know if the third-party player support available on OS X iTunes is the same on the WIndows version? I'm only asking since I have searched to no avail and I don't have another player that would be compatible on OS X iTunes to test on the Windows version.

Sadly, it looks as though she might have to resort to Windows Media or their new "Urge" service. :rolleyes:

I have to see what I can do to get her an iPod that wouldn't cost too much. If the 1 GB nano is released next week, I'll most definitely have her get that one if the price is right. But until then, we might have to go this route.

the windows version of iTunes will only support the ipod. this is because iTunes is not really required on the pc, so they don't have to offer support. iTunes is so integrated with MacOS however, that they thought to add suupport for these different players. you will have to use another system on windows unfortunately.

Well that sucks. :p

Oh well, I guess she's just gonna have to use Windows Media. I know she's not going to want to use the Mac to do her tunes, but I could be wrong. I'll let her know. Thanks. :)

Well, I spoke with my wife and it looks like she prefers to use iTunes so we might look at an iPod purchase. I told her to use mine for the rest ofthe week in case the rumors of a 1 GB nano are true. Then she would be able to use the nano on the PC with iTunes.:D

Back