Don't use telnet!

Why yes.. you should have a command line ssh client ont here as well.. try typing ssh localhost from your OS X box in tcsh..

Yes, I realize that. However, I want to be able to ssh INTO my OS X machine from another machine running OS 8.6. For that, I need an ssh client that doesn't cost $120. Unfortunately (or maybe not), there is no command line on OS 8.6...:)

Check out this site:

http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/VermontRecipes/index.html

Originally posted by Ghoser777

I'll write it as soon as someone teaches me some perl and objective C. I've got the motivation, but where are the easy as pie tutorials (atleast for Obj C). I learned java pretty easily, but where is the step by step walkthrough for Obj C? If the language is taught, and it is easy to learn, more people will learn to program on the mac, more programs will be produced, and the obvious conclusion is that apple buys out microsoft somewher aroun 2050.

F-bacher [/B]

Well I must say.. SSH was a breeze.
Dropped my identity files into my directory. Put an alias in my .tcshrc file for ssh to ssh -l [userid] -i [path.to.identity] [server.address] and bam.. was connected. I don't understand what the problem is... anyway

DNS seemed to give me the biggest problem, when nothing would resolve, but would connect.. But if ssh gave you that much difficulties.. I might recommend not using the terminal.

hmm.. wonder if I can get BSDi 4.2 into this puppy :)

Originally posted by Ghoser777
[I'll write it as soon as someone teaches me some perl and objective C. I've got the motivation, but where are the easy as pie tutorials (atleast for Obj C).

There is a very good document called "Inside Cocoa: Object-Oriented Programming and the Objective-C Language." (from Apple, sorry, no link). It isn't a tutorial, but it explains everything quite well (with examples). It should be pretty easy if you know Java.

Well, it seems the ssh vs. telnet thing has been done to death here.

Nonetheless, let me add a few things. Apple is using tcpd for an extra layer of security between the internet and you. However, there are no config files for tcpd, and so it is as if it weren't even there (it just allows everything). I highly suggest that anyone thinking of turning on any servers read "man tcpd" and "man 5 hosts_access". There is a lot of stuff there, but you can do something really simple and also very secure, like:

in /etc/hosts.allow, put:
sshd : ALL
ALL : <your IP address>

in /etc/hosts.deny, put:
ALL : ALL

which locks things down pretty solid, but also lets you use any servers you like internally

And, a rebuttal to the very early posters who said, essentially, "idiots! just edit /etc/hostconfig and then reboot or kill -HUP your inetd"

Come on, we're talking about Mac users. To turn on telnetd, you type your password and click a checkbox in a control panel. To turn on sshd, you su root, edit an arbitrary file that is not visible from the finder, a)and send a SIGHUP to inetd or b)reboot, depending on your taste. Which do you expect the overwhelming majority to do?

Back