Don't want OS X to touch my OS 9 partition

GeoMoon5

I'm Spartacus!
Hello everybody!
I'm installing OS 10.3 onto my Beige G3. If for some reason classic starts up through system 10.3, I don't want it touching my OS 9.2.2 partition and screwing things up. Is there any way to make OS 10.3 not play with my OS 9.2.2 partition? If I need to run OS 9.2.2, I'll reboot in that system, so I'm not against disabling classic in OS 10.3 if that's an option... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

Just don't use Classic.

If you don't a) specifically launch the Classic environment, or b) try and launch a Classic application from within OS X, or c) have the Classic environment set to automatically launch, then Classic won't touch your 9.2.2 installation.

Yah, but what if I somehow accidently activate a classic program, or leave a CD in the drive with classic programs on it and when I start up the computer the next morning into OS X, it trys to automatically open the classic programs? Any way of protecting against something weird like that?

Well, then OS X would probably tell you that the Classic environment needs updating, which you could decline to do, then cancel the loading of the Classic environment.

Believe me, OS X isn't going to trash your OS 9 installation. If you accidentally launch it, just cancel the launching process. Be careful not to accidentally launch Classic, that's the best advice I can give.

OS X will not automatically open programs located on a CD unless you specifically tell it to, period. Just won't happen. Your computer is about as likely to compose an irrational and vulgar email to your boss/parents/children/relatives/president/dictator and send it without your knowledge. ;)

If you're still worried about OS X hosing OS 9, then you could simply make a backup of the OS 9 partition -- that way, in the extremely unlikely even that OS X does trash your OS 9 installation, you're just a backup away from repairing it.

You can duplicate your OS9 folder to preserve it if you want.
If OSX has to launch Classic for the first time, it says some files need to be updated. It is strongly recommanded. And there is absolutely no problem with that.

You can set OS X to warn you before launching Classic. That way you can be sure you'll never load it by mistake. The option is in the Classic section of System Preferences.

That said, I've never known OS X to mess with OS 9. Back when I used OS 9 primarily and OS X only when I had to, I used my same system for native booting of OS 9 and Classic in OS X. Worked fine.

But you may want to create a separate System Folder to use with Classic in OS X. This will be especially useful if you have a lot of extra extensions in your OS 9 system or if you don't like to use 9.2 normally (Classic works best with 9.2, but I find 9.1 to be better when booting normally; YMMV).

As a follow-up to ElDiabloConCaca's point, if you accidentally startup Classic, allow it to boot-up completely. You can then stop Classic without incident. And to echo everyone else, there is absolutely, positively nothing to worry about from Classic.

I agree with ElDiabloConCaca that allowing OS X to install resources in OS 9.2.2 will not harm it in any way. But if you are really paranoid:
  1. Install a second copy of OS 9.2.2 on the same drive/partition with OS X
  2. Open the OS X System Preferences > Classic and select the copy of OS 9 on the drive/partition with OS X as the classic environment.
That way OS X will always use the copy you selected and all additional resources will be installed there. You can also strip down the OS 9 extensions in that copy to OS 9 Base because it has no need for other extensions since that functionality will be handled by OS X.

Your copy of OS 9 on the other drive partition will remain pristine and untouched by OS X. I ran that way in OS X Public Beta and 10.0. I got rid of OS 9 and the classic environment in 10.1 and I have never missed it once.

Thank you, your assistance was more than helpful. I have many useful options now.

I was just worried because I ran into major problems trying to get BOINC to work so I could run SETI@home and other such goodies. I could never get it to launch/my G3 266 processor couldn't handle it and so the computer got stuck in limbo. I was able to start up in OS 9.2.2 for a while, then that started crapping out. Then I could only start up in OS 10.3, and then nothing. I don't know if the funk spred to OS 9.2.2 or what, but a week later, I've finally been able to get everything running again at 100%... After a mega reformating of course.

Unfortunalty, now I don't have the original SETI and the newer one only runs on BOINC, which demands too much of this computer. My zip CD burner stopped working too because the power cord crapped out. I do have my OS 9.2.2 backed up on a seperate HD, but there doesn't seem to be any tangable SETI application to transfere to the new OS 9.2.2 install. Oh well...

I just didn't want to have to worry about bad funk jumping Operating Systems is all. I guess that is not a valid worrie though. I shall adapt accordingly. Worrie is now irrelevant. Thank you.

Back