dot-configrc files

phule

Registered
When opening the terminal, the default shell tcsh starts. Why doesn't the shell create a default .cshrc (or .tcshrc) configuration file? At least I sure can't ANY dot-config files. The same question applies for opening (and then quitting) emacs -- no .emacsrc

I don't know what emacs does - I can almost guarantee it's not standard though, emacs doesn't do much of anything the usual way.

As for a default .cshrc/.tcshrc/.bashrc - what would you expect to find in one? It's just a script with commands that execute when the shell starts. There isn't really any way of deciding on a default set of commands to execute, unless that set is the empty set - so, an empty file, or one consisting entirely of comments maybe...

scruffy said:
I don't know what emacs does - I can almost guarantee it's not standard though, emacs doesn't do much of anything the usual way.

As for a default .cshrc/.tcshrc/.bashrc - what would you expect to find in one?

[snip]

I know what it is, I just want to know where it should be placed! I know *NIX would ordinarily place it in a user's home directory. As for where OS X "looks" for it is another matter.

Oh - the shells and so forth in OS X are exactly the same versions you'll find in any unix system, so they look for their config files in exactly the same places.

Back