dots in front of files not showing up

pemberly

Registered
Hi,

I have several cd's burned at work with for example, ...Ads Week1. The CD will not show up on my desktop when I put the CD in. Any file with the dots in front of it, it's like it does not exist! Help, this is very frustrating. Is there some setting I am overlooking?

pemberly

if you have a . in front of any files or folders they will appear Invisible under OSX. You can use tinkertool to get around this but you should avoid using . in front of names of volumes, folders and files.

StarBuck

The file if you download the correct one will be a DMG Disk Image. Inside is an installer.

You're likely to have other minor problems in the future if you use periods at the beginning of filenames. Traditionally that implies that the file or folder is to be invisible.

-Rob

Yes, this is an old unix convention for "slightly hidden" files. It's not intended to provide anything like security, just to remove the clutter of things you probably don't want to see most of the time.

Using Tinkertool or similar will allow you to access those files on extant CDs. Don't worry, the files are there; the Finder is just doing you the "favor" of not displaying them.

Great! Thanks to everyone for your help! One more little question. My Internet Explorer keeps opening in Classic Mode. Do I have to install an update for Mac OS X? When I first installed the icon was in my dock and it did open in X, but it someone disappeared and I can't seem to find it anywhere!

Look in your "Applications" folder on your hard drive. Internet Explorer should be there, and everything's listed alphabetically... if you'd like it back in your dock, simply drag and drop Internet Explorer on your Dock somewhere to the left of the divider.

Back