Download managers corrupted Safari

kadampa

Registered
Sure would appreciate some help. I tried Transmit and SpeedDownload yesterday, to see if I would like to use them. Carefully uninstalled SpeedDownload, and followed Transmit's instructions for removal, but now Safari doesn't load some links, including either of those two programs.

I think one of those two corrupted Safari, or has left something in a Library which causes Safari on some links to briefly show the file to be downloaded in the address window, then revert to the address of the page where the link is. The linked file or program simply won't download. (Links that do still download on my wife's Mac mini). Option click just downloads the html page.

Any suggestions would be so appreciated - I just had to reformat my drive and would hate to go through the process of reloading everything again!

check the folder /YourHardDrive/Users/YouUserName/Library/Internet Plugins/ or /Library/Internet Plugins/ for any trace of the plugins. Plus go to /YourHardDrive/Users/YouUserName/Library/Preferences/ and delete the file com.apple.Safari.plist . This will reset Safari.

Thank you Satcomer! SpeedDownload had indeed left something in /Library/Internet Plugins. I am so grateful for your help!

Great to know you found the problem. :)

I also just want to point out to something like AppDelete. It will find all the traces of a program on your Mac.

check the folder /YourHardDrive/Users/YouUserName/Library/Internet Plugins/ or /Library/Internet Plugins/ for any trace of the plugins. Plus go to /YourHardDrive/Users/YouUserName/Library/Preferences/ and delete the file com.apple.Safari.plist . This will reset Safari.

Deleted com.apple.safari.plist. Emptied trash. Safari didn't start. Do I have to restart computer?
tia

Back