download problems

technopappa

Registered
Greetings

I am brand now to the MAC world and I have a macbook with OS X on it. Earlier today I downloaded ircle and ran it. I used it for several minutes and then had to shut down my system. Tonight I noticed that ircle is gone. I tried to download that IRC client and several others. It seems as if all .dmg files are now turning into .exe files and landing on my desktop instead of my download folder. Can someone tell me how to fix this please? I am not sure what I might have done to cause this problem. Thanks

Last edited:
Hey there ,sorry about the GIANT fonts. I could not figure out how to go back and edit the post. Anyway, one thing I forgot to say is that the .exe files seem to be associated with Quicktime player as well. This is too weird. LOL...

Ok, so I clicked on the Snak link as you said. I clicked to SAVE the file to my computer (macbook). When the download was done I had a NEW .exe file that was associated with Quick Player. I keep deleting all of the .exe files since I am not really sure I understand how this is happening. This morning everything was working just fine. I did have ircle running like a charm. I am running version 10.5 of OS X It is as if the file associations are all screwed up or something.

You have somehow changed the association of .dmg disk image files from DiskImageMounter. Do a Get Info ... on a .dmg and change it back.

I wound up just uninstalling Quicktime player. Once I did that the .dmg files were processed correctly. I have no idea how I managed to muck up the .dmg installer association. It is all part of learning I suppose. Now I need to reinstall Quicktime Player at some point. Thanks for the tip on get info etc...

I wound up just uninstalling Quicktime player. ...
Huh? What do you mean by "just uninstalling Quicktime player." Do you mean that you deleted that one application? QuickTime is much more than just that application. It is the audio-visual frameworks of MacOS X. Every graphics- or audio-compatible Mac application uses the QuickTime frameworks. The only optional part of QuickTime are user-installable third-party codecs. Removing any other part of QuickTime is like amputating your leg because your shoe is too tight.

Yes, that is what I meant to say. I knew that somehow the downloads for .dmg packages were gettting associated with Quicktime player because of the quicktime player icon on the desktop. My Macbook is running just fine so I am sure that all I did was just get rid of the player. At some point I need to reinstall it. Thanks

I have the same problem with .dmg files being associated with quicktime. What file should .dmg be assoicated with so i can fix this. I could not find the file "DiskImageMounter" when I searched for it.

DiskImageMounter is found at:

MacintoshHD ~> System ~> Library ~> CoreServices

You should be able to Control/Right-Click the .dmg file and select "Open With" then "DiskImageMounter"

While we're at it you need to do a Get Info on the .dmg file and in the "Open With" section, you need to select DiskImageMounter from the pull-down menu and then click the "Change All" to associate future .dmg files with their correct parent app.

If you can't see the pull-down menu, click the small disclosure triangle to the left of "Open With" to show the information/options.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back