Download The MacOSX Features Guide!

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
i was just sorting thru some old floppies tonite and ran across some of these. it was like going back in time or something.:cool:
What's a floppy? :D

The MacOSX Features Guide doesn't work under Windows or OS 9. Only on OS X. I'll build a windows version just for you though. ;)

speaking of suffixes for compressed files, does anyone remember .pit or .cpt? i was just sorting thru some old floppies tonite and ran across some of these. it was like going back in time or something.:cool:

Heh... I remember these. Compact Pro was .cpt - an excellent compression utility that competed with Stuffit. I have no idea what .pit is.

obormot - you'd better start posting more because you are far too old to be going around being known as a "junior" member:p

level9 - a floppy is what you get after a few too many beers:D

actually it's a rare collector's item - but i would be willing to sell you a few at $30 each:D

ok, only the ones formatted for mac are hard to find these days but what the hey!!

JUST RE-FORMAT WINDOWS ONES!!!! BUT TRUE, REAL-MAC ONES ARE HARD TO FIND!!!!

CAN YOU ACTUALLY FORMAT WINDOWS-FLOPPIES ON OSX???? TELL ME HOW!! I'D LIKE TO KNOW.

WINDOWS-FLOPPIES ARE EASY TO FIND CUZ WINDOWZE COMUTERS LIVE IN THE PAST... MAC HAS CD-RW INSTEAD... AND IT'S MUCH BETTER!!!!

MACRULEZ!!!! :D :D :D

Originally posted by MACLOVA
CAN YOU ACTUALLY FORMAT WINDOWS-FLOPPIES ON OSX???? TELL ME HOW!! I'D LIKE TO KNOW.

Are you asking whether you can format a floppy as Windows (or DOS, rather) on OS X? Or whether you can format Windows floppies as Mac format? If the former, then I have no idea... the latter definitely.

And could you please lay off that Caps Lock key - I'm sure it's starting to feel abused. ;)

obormot - you'd better start posting more because you are far too old to be going around being known as a "junior" member:p

Heh... I'm not as old as you may think... it so happens that I worked on the tech support staff in my high school for several years, and dealt with quite a lot of old Mac equipment and software. (Ask me about Project Doorstop one of these days ;))

yes, you can format a floppy disk or a zip disk or a harddrive to pc format (dos) on a mac. just use special/erase disk in 9 or disk utility in osx. you can reformat any of those back to mac (standard or extended). in osx you can format the hd as linux. macs have been able to read and write pc language right out of the box for close to 10 years or more. i've been shocking my pc friends for years by taking their files on their disks home and working on them in a mac version of a program. half the time i don't even use the same program they did, but i return the new work to them in their program and format.

i just noticed on versiontracker that there is an ad for a new software that alows pc's to read and write mac. :)

yea, pc's do sooo much more than macs. not.:D

so obormot, start a new thread somewhere and tell us about project doorstop. sounds like it gave you a good educational experience. i'll bet it was a little frustrating though.;)

Its getting better;) Re-sizeable main window would be nice (especially when it starts to get bigger):D Keep up the good work!

Originally posted by MACLOVA
CAN YOU ACTUALLY FORMAT WINDOWS-FLOPPIES ON OSX???? TELL ME HOW!! I'D LIKE TO KNOW...
Yeah, but it is not integrated into the Finder... Instead use the Disk Utility program... (i.e. you use the same thing and do this the same way as you would any hard drive.0

I just want to know how you got the OS9 version's icon to be "invisible". Invisible in the sense that if you click on the icon itself, it's as if it's "clear", meaning it doesn't highlight. Even if you drag-select (marque), it does the same thing, you *must* click on or highlight the file name. I've never seen this before.

level9: hehe, that was actually a bug. The icon doesn't have a complete "icon set" with it, you can find that out by opening it in ResEdit. Download the MacOSX version if ya wanna see the pretty icon. :)

Wow! Over 200 downloads a day! Ya think the public would get tired of this already?!

Originally posted by Trip
level9: hehe, that was actually a bug.
Ahhh gotcha. I have both, OS9 for work and the other for home. Didn't think to look into the icon resources, guess I shoulda. Nice work, btw. If I have time over the weekend, I was going to look through it and see if there's anything I can add to it.
:D

Back