downloading .rar in safari

jmartin724

Registered
i dunno if this is something that happens to anyone else, but whenever i download a .rar file in safari, it will save it with an additional extension.

ie. i download temp.rar, when the download is complete, it renames it temp.rar.txt

has anyone else seen this behavior, and is there a way to stop it?

it's just really annoying.

thanks!

:)

If Safari doesn't recognize the filetype (.rar isn't a filetype that OS X uses by deault) it'll usually append the .txt to it.

Install UnRarX on your system and run it once.

After that, Safari should know what to do with a .rar file. Worked for me at least. Give it a shot.

ok, so i installed it, and while the file is being prepared to be downloaded, it has the UnRarX icon inthe download window, but as soon as it starts to download, it changes to a text file icon and adds the .txt to the end of the filename.

i have suitcase installed and it showed the suitcase icon for a rar file before, so i assume my system would have known what to do with it.

so i am back at square one. anyone else with a suggestion? it is just really annoying!!!

Is it just from one particular site, or does it do this for .rar files from anywhere? If from one site, then it could be that the particular site doesn't have their MIME types set correctly.

perfessor101 said:
You can use MisFox a freeware app from the developer of iCab to change the file mappings and protocol helpers for rar files to Stuffit Expander.
Now that is a useful link, thanks!

A long time ago I mistakenly chose Acrobat 5.0 as the default app for PDF files downloaded via a browser. No matter where I looked I could not find a way to change that setting to Adobe Reader. It didn't bother me too much since I hardly ever let the browser initiate an "open" except for media files, I always have the browsers stop and ask me where to save the files (except for Safari which seems to have no available option for this).

But it always bugged me that I was offered the option to open the file in Acrobat 5.0, which would start Classic. I just downloaded and installed misfox, looked for the pdf extension and changed it to open in Adobe Reader. After a restart the setting "took" and now browsers offer me the option of opening PDFs in Adobe Reader.

If I double click on an existing file they still open in Preview which is what I want. I could set the default via the browser for Preview as well but I think I'll leave it with Reader for now.

BTW: If anyone wants to set Camino to prompt for a the download location it's an advanced pref. Type about:config into the address bar and look for browser.download.autoDownload. Double click it to set it to false. Same thing for Firefox but Firefox does have that pref available in the normal preferences pane.

Back