Drag and drop in OS X 10.2.3

trond

Registered
I have a problem with drag and drop in finder and iMovie (and probably other applications too).

I have OS X 10.2.3 installed on my PB G4/1 GHz.

Tried to log in as root user to check if it is a problem with permissions, but I have the same problem as root (or any other user i try).

I also used Disk Utility and repaired Disk Permissions but I cant see any difference.

Anybody who has the same problem or a solution to the problem?

Best regards

Trond

trond, you might want to give people a better description of the problem. ie. what is it about drag and drop that doesn't work?

I'me having the same issue.

A more complete description:
In any application, including the finder, I can not drag anything and therefore drop anything. This happens on the desktop, any view in a finder window, itunes, iphoto, etc., etc. I can however copy and paste (like in windoze) oddly.

Any help much appreciated.

RE

So, you can select anything you like (so it then highlights), but you can't move any icons, right? Can you select text and drag a text selection?

I've had the same problem twice now - and i'm starting to agree with another poster who is certain this is realted to stuffit files and lockups during decompression. In both cases that i've had this problem, i've been downloading files and had stuffit lock up while decompressing and have to be forced to quit.

I've walked away from the system, and returned after a few minutes when it has gone to sleep. On a wake from sleep, I get the nice, new kernal panic screen. When the system is restarted - no drag and drop.

I've tried the dragster software, reboots, and the manual methods suggested here and elsewehere - nothing but a good old clean install does the trick.

That's my 2 cents.

-Cliff

Get this free app (Dragster):

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=16804&db=mac

It should solve your problems. The app description also tells you what it actually does - basically just deletes some cache files. I had this problem ages ago and then deleted the cache files manually - it worked

EDIT: only just noticed the previous poster had tried this method unsuccesfully. Worth a try, anyway, if you haven't tried it yet.

Boy was I pissed when I discovered that problem at the beginning and there was no Dragster to help me. Glad to know if it ever happens again I will be able to fix it without going through what I did back then. Reformat and install about 3 times. Turned out I kept bringing over one of the bad files from my Backup and thus causing it again and again.

Back