Drawing People in Photoshop

well do you know any helpful hints for draping people in general, because my art skills aren't that good when it come to people. any templates?

Sorry for the quality of this tutorial (lol) but I'm busy working on my website. Anywho, here we go (with the attached image):

1. Using basic shapes and lines create the "frame" of your character. Using a picture reference or live model look where basic lines and shapes are and quickly sketch them down.

2. Outline around your sketches and bring in more detail to your shapes. Again: using a picture model or real model as a reference can be handy!

3. Add detail, erase parts that don't look like they fit and add parts that should fit. Work with the outlines and if desired begin working on the inside of your picture.

*I used this method to create the character in this picture a year ago: http://www.TannerSite.com/tannersite/Gallery/summon.jpg

Depending on the amount of detail you add you can make your outcome very realistic, or cartoonish. But this is the basic way to get a human figure into your painting/drawing. If you have questions just ask and I'll find the time to answer. ;)

Attachments

• 5-minute-tutorial.gif
    5-minute-tutorial.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 13
Heh, if this is a commercial product, I'm sure you can find a starving art student somewhere who would be happy to draw people for you for a modest fee.

Barring that, look around this vast cyberocean for tutorials and tips, and practice your techniques.

Going back to the #1 post here...maybe if you took a photograph of a model and then edit it in photoshop...that'd look really well with those wings.

Only thing is: do you have a camera?

Finding a model isn't ever a problem, you've always got yourself. But then again you'll need a tripod (or similar) and an autotimer. :)

If you can find a copy of a book named How to draw comics "the marvel way" by Stan Lee and John Buscema you'll see that is not that hard to learn that style... This book does a pretty good job explaining the basis with cool illustrations... :) the books at How to draw manga are also good at it ... Trip's tuts are cool thou ;)

How to draw manga Female Body tut

Bakaneko tuts

Polykarbon tuts

Now, you can try searching at Photo.net or at ImageBank you might find something useful there...

Don't forget to show us the final result :)

Thanks all very much, ive got my frame and everything thanks :)

And i will show u the final result :)

Thanks

Adam

Lots of well-meaning folks here...the rub is that learning how to draw from scratch for one specific task is a tall order. And as a 'reformed' painter and illustrator, I'd say it's a lot easier to draw traditionally than digitally. Digital drawing gives you many options and malleability, but it's more difficult to build your skill at rendering objects and people accurately. I had a painting professor in college who used to say, "Reality is much richer than the imagination." What he meant was the level of detail in reality, and by natural extension, photography as a small window of reality, is much greater than what you can remember or create in your mind's eye. That's not a dismissal of the visual creative powers in people's heads, it just means you have to spend a long time looking closely and things and drawing them before you can just sit down and crank out an image of, let's say, an angel...

well i have a cunnning plan! :D

I have my friend at a art college doing me a frame in black pen so i can scan it in. then i will use a photo with either poser or photoshop and 'wrap' parts of the photo around it.

Should look quite good.

Adam

Back