Drive Mappings Persistent

bigbd

Registered
I have two new MACs that our company recently purchased and I had a couple questions regarding drive mappings to a Windows server.

1) What is the recommended way to do it?

2) How do I make the drive mappings persistent?

They are connecting to a Windows 2000 Server share.

Thanks

I just connected to my local server. On the desktop, hit Option-K, and enter the IP address of the server. It should appear as an icon on the desktop and in Finder.

Of course, I'm totally new to Macs, having just received my MacBook Pro after a couple of centuries on Windoze. So what do I know?

Also, in the Connect To Server dialog you can add frequently used servers to the favorites list for quick access later.

For persistance, a method I used was an automator script. Using the "Get Specified Servers" action to pass all my server URLS to the "Connect to Servers" action. Both are Finder actions. And be sure to specify the access protocol as you would in the Connect To Server dialog.

Save it for later update as a workflow (I called it My Servers), then save it again as an application for standalone execution.

Then I added the application to login items under account preferences so they reconnect at startu or login. For convenience I also dragged it to the left pane in finder. That way if any server links become disconnected unexpectedly, I can reattach from any finder window.

There are more sophisticated ways I'm sure, but this is an easily managable method for me. And the application copies over ready-to-use for other machines that use identical servers, otherwise tailor as needed.

Mark

bigbd said:
I have two new MACs that our company recently purchased and I had a couple questions regarding drive mappings to a Windows server.

1) What is the recommended way to do it?

2) How do I make the drive mappings persistent?

They are connecting to a Windows 2000 Server share.

Thanks

You used to be able to simply put aliases of the drives in the Login Items under your accounts system preference pane. When you login, the drive is mounted and you're asked for the username and password (unless you've saved this info in your keychain).

Yes, that's right, dropping the aliases directly into the Login Items does work for persistence. However, even when you check the hide option the respective windows still open up. With the workflow, selecting "hide" prevents the windows from poping up every time you login. Of course, that's just a matter of personal tolerance.

Other conveniences with the workflow (or scripting) is single list managment for multiple URLS, and and ease of one-click reconnecting should any become disconnect during a session. But again, just a matter of personal tolerance.

Mark

marzer said:
Yes, that's right, dropping the aliases directly into the Login Items does work for persistence. However, even when you check the hide option the respective windows still open up. With the workflow, selecting "hide" prevents the windows from poping up every time you login. Of course, that's just a matter of personal tolerance.

Other conveniences with the workflow (or scripting) is single list managment for multiple URLS, and and ease of one-click reconnecting should any become disconnect during a session. But again, just a matter of personal tolerance.

Mark

I'll have to give that a try. I generally don't mount disks on login. If my applications are on a remote server I just alias them and the server will mount if I need the app. For file servers, I'll generally make an alias of any directories I'm accessing all the time and just "open" those when I need them.

Alternatively when the drive is mounted, drag it's icon to the right of the separator line in the dock and it will create a permanent alis there so the drive should be just one click away, assuming you are using Active Directory authentication on the Mac.

Back