DropStuff

Rhisiart

Registered
If I want to send some files to a buddy who uses a Mac, I can simply compress them with DropStuff, saved in either .sitx, .tar or .zip formats.

Which of these, if any, can be used to send compressed files to someone using a PC?

Thanks.

Use the Archive function in the contextual menu. I do this nearly daily between my home macs (yeah!) and my work PC (boo!)

The built in archive function is perfectly adaptable to Windows Zip.

Zip is the way to go. You can use OS X's standard archiving, which uses zip, but there's one little gotcha: when you unzip it on a PC, it'll be littered with normally-invisible items that are utterly useless on Windows, like .ds_store and the folders OS X dumps resource fork data into.

If you want to send zips to PC user, I recommend using CleanArchiver. It has options to ignore all Mac-specific files.

If you need a single zip to be cross-platform, then it's probably best to use OS X's archiving feature and just extend the friendly finger to any Windows users. :p You wouldn't want to risk losing resource fork data, which would be useful (maybe even essential) when used on a Mac.

As a graphic artist, constantly sending out files, I have had the best results making a .zip file out of dropstuff when sending to clients/vendors who may or may not be using macs (unless they have requested a certain format)...

There has been some occasions where an archive from the built-in mac osx zip feature has been unopenable to pc users (and some older mac users), which means I then have to send them a .zip made with dropstuff anyway.. so why take the chance.

Back