Drving On Left Side Of The Road

Satcomer

In Geostationary Orbit
In my younger years in the Army I was Station in Japan for three years I had to get a car. Japan drives on the left side of the road! It was easy going from right side to the left in less than a day! When I came back to States it took me a couple of days to master drving on right side of the streets!

I want to know if my old say that it easier to go Left then going to the right! Do some of you see the same things?

Going from the right side driving roads to the Left is easy! Going back to States that are on right side of roads was hard!

If you were older, you would have been stationed prior to, say, the early 1970's when Japan drove on the correct side of the road as punishment for picking a fight with a nuculer [Stop that!--Ed.] superpower . . . and raping Nanking, Korea, Bataan, Astro-Boy, et cetera.

This continued into the 70's on Okinawa. Japan is actually more of an Anglophile than Your Aunt who is watching the "Royal Wedding" and tries to imitate Madonna's unreceived accent. The court dress, the use of business cards, and driving on the wrong side of the road all came from imitating the American Colonies.

The Home Islands reverted as soon as USA!USA!USA! retreated to their bases and local brothels. Okinawa was a "last hold-over." It still has streets and signs designed for driving on the correct side of the road. Nevertheless, being under Japan Proper's thumb, Okinawa switched in the grand Japanese "Prevent US from Raping and Pillaging China, Korea . . . er . . . Establishing Our Greater Asia Cooperation Sphere?! 馬鹿!" gesture.

This, of course, caused a generation of Okinawans who learned to drive correctly to suddenly have to drive incorrectly. Meanwhile, on the 97% of Okinawa that is Freedom's Base [Citation needed.--Ed.], you have to drive correctly. So Okinawans privileged to work In Freedom have to be able to adapt to both.

Meanwhile, every so often one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children escapes from Kadena in his car. . . .

--J.D.

sofPN.png

--J.D.

If you were older, you would have been stationed prior to, say, the early 1970's when Japan drove on the correct side of the road as punishment for picking a fight with a nuculer [Stop that!--Ed.] superpower . . . and raping Nanking, Korea, Bataan, Astro-Boy, et cetera.

This continued into the 70's on Okinawa. Japan is actually more of an Anglophile than Your Aunt who is watching the "Royal Wedding" and tries to imitate Madonna's unreceived accent. The court dress, the use of business cards, and driving on the wrong side of the road all came from imitating the American Colonies.

The Home Islands reverted as soon as USA!USA!USA! retreated to their bases and local brothels. Okinawa was a "last hold-over." It still has streets and signs designed for driving on the correct side of the road. Nevertheless, being under Japan Proper's thumb, Okinawa switched in the grand Japanese "Prevent US from Raping and Pillaging China, Korea . . . er . . . Establishing Our Greater Asia Cooperation Sphere?! 馬鹿!" gesture.

This, of course, caused a generation of Okinawans who learned to drive correctly to suddenly have to drive incorrectly. Meanwhile, on the 97% of Okinawa that is Freedom's Base [Citation needed.--Ed.], you have to drive correctly. So Okinawans privileged to work In Freedom have to be able to adapt to both.

Meanwhile, every so often one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children escapes from Kadena in his car. . . .

--J.D.

Well if you really want to know the Real history President Nixon gave to Islanders three choices in election, one was become a American colony, two to become part of Japan or become the republic again before 5 the Japanese early occupation! So the Communist party of Japan paid people to move to Oki to sway the vote to Japanese! So the vote of Japan was one be less than 500 votes then become self government again!

So learn the real history then you could see everything has a backstory!

I drive on the right side (Switzerland) but having been in several places driving on the left side (Hong-Kong, Japan, UK), I can confirm that the logic is easier on the left side. In particular driving on the left side and having priority when coming from the right, this makes perfect sense in many case and is certainly the way to do in runabouts. The only thing that I don't like over there is manipulating the gearbox with the left hand.

I drive on the right side (Switzerland) but having been in several places driving on the left side (Hong-Kong, Japan, UK), I can confirm that the logic is easier on the left side. In particular driving on the left side and having priority when coming from the right, this makes perfect sense in many case and is certainly the way to do in runabouts. The only thing that I don't like over there is manipulating the gearbox with the left hand.

I found it easy when I did my time in Japan! The harder part was when I came back to New York State I found it took me about 2 weeks to used to driving on the right side of the road!

Back