dscacheutil -flushcache seems to be failing

Hippo Man

Hippo Man
I'm running the latest version of Snow Leopard.

I manage my own DNS (on a non-MacOSX server), and three days ago, I changed the IP addresses for a few domains that I control.

Within 48 hours after doing so, the new DNS entries showed up on all my hosts except my MacOSX host. The hosts where everything worked are Linux and Windows hosts.

I tried using dscacheutil -flushcache on my MacOSX machine, and it had no effect. In other words, my MacOSX machine is still getting the out-of-date DNS entries for these domains.

I even did the following (1) run dscacheutil -flushcache; (2) reboot my MacOSX machine; (3) run dscacheutil -flushcache; (4) reboot my MacOSX machine. However, this had no effect. My DNS entries are still out of date for the domains in question on my MacOSX machine.

All of my hosts (MacOSX, Windows, Linux) are on the same local network, and all have the same DNS entries set in their respective Networking configuration software. Therefore, there is nothing about network topology or configuration that is different between my MacOSX machine and my Windows and Linux boxes.

Oh, also: I have looked up these domains on various hosts on the internet, and all of these hosts see the new DNS entries. This is not surprising, given that the DNS changes were made around 72 hours ago.

So does anyone know how I can get my MacOSX machine to actually recognize these DNS changes?

Is there perhaps some other command that is better than dscacheutil -flushcache that I should be using?

Thanks in advance.
.​

Thanks. I didn't know about that document.

Sadly, the dscl . -list Computers | grep -v "^localhost$" command yields no results, so the while loop that these results get piped into does nothing.

However, the problem got solved after I sent a HUP signal to mDNSresponder.

Why this didn't fix the problem after my reboots is a mystery to me, but all's well that ends well.

Thank you for your help.
.​

Back