Dual 2.3 G5 Powermac Not Recognizing RAM

hifigrafix

Registered
I bought a brand new Dual 2.3 G5 a few weeks ago and had the store go ahead an install an additional 2 GB RAM for me. I didn't pay too much attention over the past few weeks but yesterday I plopped open my System Profile and sure enough: Memory = 512MB... I was quite discouraged. I opened her up - made sure the sticks were seated properly and even pulled them out to make sure they were stacked in the correct order - which according to apple's DIY sheet they are.

So I ran over the computer store today and a friend tha works there gave me 2GB more to try out.. well I've seated them too and my machine doesn't see them.

They are all seated firmly with the side-pins fastened appropriately.

I should be seeing 4.5 GB of RAM right now but all I see is 512 (2 x 256MB). As you can tell it's pretty frustrating but I wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion...

The 1GB sticks that aren't being recognized are CENTON Electronics DESKTOP PC3200 (DDR400).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

How is the RAM installed internally? Did they follow the matched pair memeory install that is need in a G5? Here is a video showing someone how to install matched pairs of memory.

Thanks Satcomer - yea that's exactly what the apple DIY paper tells you to do. I've done that - I've also tried skipping the 2nd slot on each bank and I've tried everything but removing the factory ram which I'll probably try here in a moment. if that doesn't help then I guess it's off to apple to see what's going on here.

Thanks

Back