Dual Boot on Mac mini os x server

noybb

Registered
I have a new mac mini with os x server on it. It has two partitions and I tried to install mac os x onto the other partition so I could boot from that. I have an apple external dvd drive attached to the mini.

Everything went well, it allowed me to install to the partition I wanted. Then when it does a reboot it will not boot with the mac os x disk in the dvd drive and if I take it out it boots back to mac os x server partition. If I hold down the Option Key at the start it does not show me the partition with the os x on it.

Using finder I can see a bunch of pkg files in a folder called Mac OS X install Data on the partition I want to use. Is there a way of getting these to install?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am fairly new to macs.

Thanks.

What version of OS X are you trying to install on your mini? The version number will be printed on the label of the installer DVD. Unless you have a version that is newer than your mini shipped with, the install may not work, or may not boot or run properly.
Where did you get your OS X installer DVD?

What is your goal by installing OS X client? OS X server is already installed, and will do everything that the client version will do, plus make all the server stuff simple to use.

BTW, you don't have just two partitions - you have two separate hard drives, each with its own partition.

DeltaMac I am trying to install OS X 10.6.3 which I purchased from the Apple store.

I wanted to install the client because I can understand the security etc with it. I do not understand all the things with the Server version and do not want to expose myself to potential hackers etc.

I suspect it must have something to do with the drivers for the mac mini as I was originally going to just install the client version over the server version but couldn't. I phoned Apple support who told me that the drivers (I think they used a different term) are reasonably new (my mac mini is mid 2010) and the software will not install over the server. The only way I could replace the server version is to get a copy of an install disk for the same model mac mini except get the client one. Of course Apple do not sell the install disks for the mac mini (non server) so I am stuck.

I then came up with the idea of making it dual boot but guess I can't do that either.

Yes, I do know I have two partitions.

Thanks DeltaMac.

I wanted to install the client because I can understand the security etc with it. I do not understand all the things with the Server version and do not want to expose myself to potential hackers etc.
I suspect it must have something to do with the drivers for the mac mini ...
I then came up with the idea of making it dual boot but guess I can't do that either.

Why did you get the server model if you don't want to take advantage of the extra security that OS X server offers? Do you not have anyone who understands the setup and use of server?

The main problem that you have is that the commercial OS X client install is an older build of OS X (even though it's the same numerical version, the build number will be older). The build that comes with the new mini would have updated drivers for that newer mini. That's probably the biggest question about installing from the commercial install to a new Mac.

Of course, if you get yourself in a security mess with the client version, you would have the same opportunity for that mess with the Server version. If you avoid making changes to server that would affect your security, then you will be fine.

DeltaMac I got the Mac mini server because it comes with 2 x 500gb drives, the Mac mini only comes with 1 x 500gb drive. I want to use it in a HT environment and coming from a windows environment thought it would be easy to just remove the server software and install the client software.

I understand how the client works but the server has so much more on it that I don't know what and how I should enable or disable things. I also have an imac with os x client on it that I want to be able to connect to the mac mini and I've found that if I change things I think I should change for security on the mac mini then the imac doesn't connect to it.

I just wanted everything to be as simple as possible and with a server version it is not, well at least not for me anyway.

Therefore -
Set up your Mac. If you understand the settings used in the client version, then work with those. If you run into a setting that's part of Server settings, and you don't understand what it does, don't change the default setting.
1. Read Your Manual - there should be help with every part of the system setup that you may have questions.
2. Use your Mac system help (from the help menu) for answers, or where you may find links to other support information.
3. Use your provided AppleCare support. You get complimentary (free) support through AppleCare for help in getting up and running for the first 90 days.

You may not know that the pair of 500GB hard drives in your mini are 7200 rpm drives. The 500 GB that is optional on the 'normal' mini is a 5400 rpm model, and 7200 rpm drives are not an Apple option on that model.

bottom line: Your mini comes with Server, which can be configured to a very high level of use, even with large networks. You can choose to ignore much of the Server capabilities, and you would always have those other uses to configure at a later time.

If you _really_ want that client instead of Server:
The best way to client is to reformat (erase) and install client. Try that with your second hard drive. But, you have to have a version that is newer than the version that shipped with the mini, or the actual installer that shipped with a 'normal' mini.
You can do this with the client install that you have, by installing, then rebooting to the _server_ drive, and installing the 10.6.4 combined updater, using the destination of your hard drive with the installed 10.6.3 client. That should update to 10.6.4, and get you a bootable client on your mini. That's assuming that the 10.6.4 combined updater has the different support files for the new mini hardware, I don't know.
Here's a link for the correct combined updater: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1048

Back