Dual Core PowerMacs Tomorrow

About as I expected. You see: "Marginally better" for me does not mean that this is a real update. (The quad's an exception, of course.) ...

Why does every update have to be a major one? ;)

Apple never signed an agreement with you saying that everytime they release new products, you'll be impressed beyond your wildest dreams.

If they had dual core, dual processor across the entire line, prices would be jacked up and people would complain more about the prices....

And blame IBM for not being able to get beyond 2.5Ghz in Dual cores.. not Apple :)

fryke said:
About as I expected. You see: "Marginally better" for me does not mean that this is a real update. (The quad's an exception, of course.) ...
I do think this is a great update, as there's options of 512MB VRAM, 16GB RAM, dual Gigabit ethernet and more. Plus I do think in the real world these dual core chips would smash the old systems.

Veljo said:
I do think this is a great update, as there's options of 512MB VRAM, 16GB RAM, dual Gigabit ethernet and more. Plus I do think in the real world these dual core chips would smash the old systems.

Don't forget about the available 1 Terabyte of Harddrive space :eek:

I hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere, but according to the Power Mac page and under the "optional Graphics Card" area it says, "GeForce 7800 GT". I'VE BEEN WAITING!! That has gotta be the second best graphics card on the market right now and it's going to rock when it comes out for the Mac. That's so totally awesome. the Quadro is mainly for 3D imaging, CAD, and stuff like that right?

The only problem is the price tag, meaning only hardcore digital imagers or similar will ever buy this, and not the regular home user, who would opt for the iMac G5 or something similar.

Which is perfectly in-line with whom they are targeting...pro users. Home users are not the ones being targeted with the quad.

Something to mention: When you're in the store page for the G5, on the right side there's a link saying "Still need PCI-X". If you click that you can sill order the previous top of the line (single core dual 2.7) for $2799.

As far as graphics cards...I would have liked to see the new ATI x1800 that was just released ...then again that's me (not an NVIDIA fan). <G>

--Add--

Definitely like the dual e-net thing...means I can still connect to the internet & LAN via a wire and also connect my test station running Windows (RDC control via Mac) without exposing it to the internet/LAN or adding a add-on card.

Actually, you can't hook up eight 30-inchers. From the footnotes on Apple's G5 page:
Eight 20-inch or 23-inch Apple Cinema Displays can be connected to the Power Mac G5 using four NVIDIA GeForce 6600 graphics cards.
I wonder if a single person will actually hook up eight monitors to their G5. I'm sure it'd be a great workout for your mousing arm, but it's hard to image it being very practical.

Hm. I'd take three 30"ers in the center and a 23" on each side. Five monitors sounds like more or less enough for a workstation. "More mileage for your Mighty Mouse" could be a slogan for such an extended desktop. ;)

Lt Major Burns said:
for watching movies in 43:9 :D

LOL, that was a pretty good one, I can't see anyone using that much space on the desktop, that's a whole lot of space. That's also a whole lot of $$ too. But, with that quad, you could open up like 50-60 program and just have fun!! :)

What is this "Stereo-in-a-window" thing they mention?

Google tells me it's a Linux/Irix OpenGL thing, but what precisely IS it?

Back