Dual Displays and the Menu Bar (or Crossing the Line)

Sogni

*gone*
I want to use an external monitor to be "ABOVE" my Power Book. Sure actually setting that up in the control panel is not a problem - but then I can't move a thing up to the 2nd monitor cuz of the Menu Bar on the "Lower" monitor (PowerBook).

Is there any way around this annoyance? My CRTs are taller than the PB (12" vs 19"), and I'd like an option for a vertical workspace (altho I'd use horizontal most of the time).

Wouldn't be so bad if Monitor 1 (the one with the menu bar) would be the external monitor.

Anything I can do about it?

TIA

You might be able to move the menubar (and dock, since it goes with it) with the Displays control panel.

On a regular, non-laptop dual-display setup, you can open the Display preferences and simply drag the menubar to another monitor -- of course, the dock goes with it.

I didn't realize you could move the menubar! That's kinda cool... Dock stayed behind - probably since I'm using a Vertical orientation.

But... that made the top (external) monitor display #1... I'd like the PowerBook to remain #1 - don't care where the menubar is really (well, I'd like it to stay on #1).

If only there was a way to remove the menubar's insistence that nothing can be moved into / past it's area.

Hmmm... well, the location of the menubar specifies which monitor is #1.

I would assume you could have the menubar on the external monitor, and have the external be #1, and then if you ever reboot without the monitor attached, it'll automatically switch the #1 monitor back to the laptop LCD.

I don't think you can specify the external as #2 AND have the menubar on it...

Sogni said:
I didn't realize you could move the menubar! That's kinda cool... Dock stayed behind - probably since I'm using a Vertical orientation.
Woo Hoo!!!

I've wated to move the Dock off my main (menubar) monitor for EONS!

This is a great trick... I'm not sure if I'll be able to get used to having to go off the bottom of my main monitor to get to the other one, but I'm definately going to try this out for a while.

:D

Tommy: Well, I don't wanna ruin the excitement, but I think this will only work in situations like Sogni's -- where the menubar is at the top of the top monitor in a vertical dual-monitor configuration.

I've got my monitors side-by-side, and arranged that way in Display Preferences as well, and when I move the menubar, the Dock goes with it. :(

I supposed you could place your monitors side-by-side, except configure them vertically in the Display Preferences, although it would take me a while to get used to moving my mouse up or down to get to the monitor located to the left or right... hehe...

Not on mine... I works!!!

My main (right/menubar) monitor is my Apple 17" flat panel.

My 2nd (left) monitor is an old crappy Compaq 17" CRT.

Both are connected to my G4 "twinview" video card.

Well, that's because you've got them arranged in a vertical fashion in Display Preferences.

If you arrange them in a horizontal fashion, the menubar and dock will follow each other.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Well, that's because you've got them arranged in a vertical fashion in Display Preferences...
Exactly... That's what I was trying to say at the beginning...

What Apple really ougt to do is to put the Dock on the Montior Arange screen just like the menubar... and then let us place it whereever we want.

arrange_dock.jpg

Back