Dual Drives. Have I set it up correctly ?

tony1965

Registered
MBP 13" early 2011. Last year I bought an SSD and changed out my optical drive for a (an?) SSD. Used CCC to transfer programs apps etc. onto the new SSD, set that up as the start up disk in system preferences. Question. Can I now delete OSX from the original hard drive (still in the MBP) or does it need to be there to "do something" ? I'd like to free up the space for storage and use the SSD for start up etc. and have the hard drive for files, music, documents etc. As an alternative should I swap the two locations around and put the SSD where the hard drive is and the hard drive in the optical bay, would that make a difference ?

One advantage with swapping the SSD into the hard drive slot, and the hard drive in the optical slot: Some MacBook Pros have a higher speed bus in the hard drive connection, and you would then get measurable speed increase by having the SSD in the hard drive slot.

I suggest that the System and its files don't really take a huge amount of space - maybe 5 or 6 GB. A booting system as a backup (or alternate boot) is not really a bad thing to keep around. It might be better that you know you have only one set of your apps/documents/music/movies, etc, between the SSD and the hard drive. Your user folders can be a challenge when using two different drives like that, and you have to watch how you set things up.
MUCH easier solution is to set up a fusion drive between the two drives. It's not difficult to do - however, you do have to start over by erasing both hard drives. There's several good instructions to get that set up, if you want to do that kind of configuration.

OK, understand re the space not being enough to worry about. When it comes to swapping them round, do I just take it apart, swap them round and thats it ? Or is there more to it than meets the eye. If I go the fusion drive route, would you still recommend swapping them ? I found an instruction guide to set up fusion and it involves terminal commands etc. Is that the easiest way for a novice like me to do it or is there another way ? Appreciate your help with this.

I was offering the fusion drive as an option, and an option where you should find out more, if it interests you.
I don't consider setting up a fusion drive a "novice" kind of task - but, I think it leaves you with a "drive" where you don't have to think too much about where you place your files and apps. A 2-drive setup, like you have now, if it is not well thought out, easily will lead to very confusing situations for how to use both drives efficiently. Yours may be OK, but I have seen some that very quickly were real struggles to "untangle"

Finally, the computer doesn't much care where the boot drives, etc, are physically located. However, IMHO, I like the idea of having the primary boot drive (the SSD) in the primary drive position (the normal hard drive "slot")

OK, I'll consider the fusion drive later on. I think I should do it though as I have duplicates all over the place as I'm concerned if I delete too much I may well delete the wrong thing !! When it comes to swapping the drives round, is it just a screwdriver job ? As I mentioned I currently boot from the SSD so I guess all the required files are on there. Any other hidden "system" files on the HDD that I don't know about that would affect things if I swapped the drives around ? Thanks for your advice so far.

Back