dual monitors?

jhogeterp

Registered
I have a G4 quicksilver powermac purchased in jan. of 2002. I just recently got my hands on a second monitor and was excited to try out dual monitors. It doesn't seem to work. My video card is the geforce2mx. I am assuming it does not have dual monitor support? If not, can anyone suggest an upgrade that would be under $200?

I have a lacie electron19blue III and an apple 17 inch studio display (crt-clear). I am puting the studio display to the adc slot, and the lacie in the vga slot. Both monitors turn on and work, but they show the exact same thing, and I cannot have different resolutions for each. I am assuming that I just don't have dual monitor support. When I have both monitors plugged in, the montors prefs don't give me that many options...

I lookd at the stats on my computer and I noticed that the next upgrade for the video card at the time (which would have come standard on the dual 800's) is the geforce 2mx Twinview. mine is not the "twinview". I would assume that that would mean that I my regular geforce 2mx card doesn't support it.

jhogeterp said:
I have a G4 quicksilver powermac purchased in jan. of 2002. I just recently got my hands on a second monitor and was excited to try out dual monitors. It doesn't seem to work. My video card is the geforce2mx. I am assuming it does not have dual monitor support? If not, can anyone suggest an upgrade that would be under $200?

You can buy an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition for around $170 which supports dual heads. It has an ADC and a DVI port (with an DVI to VGA adaptor).

Brian

Try opening your "Display" preferences in "System Preferences" and uncheck "Mirror Displays" under the "Arrangement" tab if it's checked. It sounds like you've got it set up to mirror the displays, and if you uncheck that checkbox, you'll be able to select different resolutions for each display plus have a true dual-monitor setup that mimics one big desktop.

yeah, I don't even have any arrangement option. Or a "mirror" box anywhere in display preferences. I think I will just get a new card. Thanks guys.

that's pretty vague. I did by my quicksilver in january of 2002, but they could be talking about the dual 800s (which came standard with twinview video card). I have turned on my computer with both displays and it 1) doesn't start in extended desktop mode, and I am not sure what mirror mode is, but it is just the exact same thing on both screens when i turn my computer on. 2) I don't have any kind of mirror or extended desktop option, and command F1 does nothing. I am pretty that article doesn't apply too me. Thanks though!

Back