Dumb Reinstall Question

magilum

Registered
I came from OS 8 and 9, so maybe this is more obvious to some than it is to me. Since I've been having so many problems on my G5, I've tried to reinstall the system. However, since I've applied updates to Tiger since the first install, it won't let me reinstall from the disc. Whaddya do?

Put the disk in and reboot holding down the 'Option' key'. Then Select the DVD as your startup drive.

Hi Satcomer,

I can boot from the disc, but the installer says the system on the drive is newer and that it can't install the older system over it.

Oh, then you have two options. Reinitialize the hard drive first or do and Archive and install.

Except if it's a G5, it didn't start with OS 8. If you're able to install 9 on it, you'll probably need the disk that came with the G5 to install 9 again. Make sure that it's all the way up to 9.2.2 when you're finished. If it's not, go to the Apple Menu > Control Panels > Software Update to get the needed updates.

macworks,

Sorry, I meant I started with/am more familiar with the earlier system. The G5 started out with Panther.

no G5 can load Classic as a bootable system. to rollback your system, you have to effectively wipe the disk (either by actually wiping it, or by using the archive and install option). in the installer process, an additional options button should appear at about stage 3, which you can choose thaose options from.

Let's say I have a second ATA hard drive with a current backup (which I do). If I wanted to reinstall the system from scratch (I recall Archive and Install not being an available option for some reason last time I tried), I'd erase the system hard drive, and then... how do I get my users and their documents into the new system?

Back