Dumb server questions...

banjo_boy

Bona Fide Pater Familius
THEY'RE ALL GOING TO LAUGH AT ME!

Do the Apple servers do the same exact things web-wise as PC servers?

Also, is the Server OS X as unhackable as OS X?

Would you get one before a PC server and why?

Yes, very dumb questions but I am just learning about servers and so why not ask a group who knows best. I have been on an Apple for 14 years now, but never looked at servers. And I really need some hands-on advice.

http://www.apple.com/server/specs.html

I don't understand your first question.
The first real web servers were linux based anyway, and I VASTLY prefer to develop on linux-based platforms than on MS based. For example, I'm doing a large project for NEADS (link in sig) with databases and all sorts of cafuffel. I can easily control everything remotely on linux, but find it really cumbersome on Windows (especially since I have a Mac and can't do remote admin).

Yeah I think OS X Server is slightly more robust than OS X client, but if you want to serve you should really use OS X Server anyway, that's what it's designed for. It has all sorts of utilities that Client doesn't have.

Would i get one before a PC server, well YEAH:
http://www.apple.com/xserve/performance.html

And your questions aren't dumb :)

Depends VERY much on what you want to achieve. If you want to set up a small webserver to provide to some hundred or five hundred visitors a day, you can get away with anything, really.

I'd prefer a UNIX system to a Wintel system anytime, though, for stability and security.

Still, for such a system it's probably much cheaper to buy RedHat Professional and a cheap PC to go with it than to buy an XServe or a PowerMac with Mac OS X Server.

You'll need some knowledge about the webserver application you're going to use either way. Look at the O'Reilly books about Apache.

If what you want to do is a fileserver, I think you've still got about the same options.

If you're planning to set up a hosting farm, XServes are cool, but my guess is that that's not what you want to do.

I am currently in the process of replacing most of our windows based webservers with Xserves running 10.2 server. They out perform thw windows servers hands down. I am able to do everything I could with the windows servers plus more on the macs, and it is easier. Licences is another BIG issue to consider. Other than the license of the server OS there is no client fees with the mac. If you are running a small site just use 10.2 client install. It will do most things the server will and is much cheaper.

Back