Duplicate copies of same printer in Printer Setup

dirky

Registered
Grrr....I have a repeating problem and I'm not sure how to fix it. Hoping someone can help.

This occurs on multiple systems running OS X 10.3.9 w/ Classic running as well to support an ancient POS (that's Point of Sale, not Piece of S.....) application we are still using. I suspect that this old app has something to do with it, but it seems impossible for a Classic app to change print settings in OS X.

Anyway, the printer is an Epson Stylus C-62.

Here's what happens: Cashier calls me and tells me the printer won't print from the POS app. When I check out the machine (after basic "is the power on" troubleshooting and checking Chooser) I discover that there are between 4 and 10 copies of Epson Stylus C-62 listed in the Setup Printers dialog in OS X. Some say "Epson Stylus C-62" and usually one or two will say "Stylus C-62(USB)." I will delete every last printer out of the dialog, add one copy of Epson Stylus C-62 back in, and the printer will operate normally. A week later, same problem.

Any suggestions?

Do your cashiers have control over adding/deleting printers?

It seems odd that a printer would spontaneously reproduce, which leads me to believe that something (er, someone) other than the computer is intentionally trying to add printers (perhaps trying to troubleshoot the printer not printing before calling you?).

There's a great utility available on versiontracker.com called "Printer Setup Repair" or "Print Center Repair" depending on what version of OS X you'd like to run it on. It does everything from fixing arcane, weird problems to just making sure your computer's printing abilities are in good health. Highly recommended.

Back