Duplicate pref panes...re-installed...same deal dif panes.

bossa nova

Registered
Fellow Mac'ers...I have a really strange one.

about two weeks ago I started seeing two "Internet" preference panes-one in the normal place under "Internet and Network" and one below the "System" category in a completely new category added at the bottom called "Other". After trashing prefs and doing an archive, install and import of prefs, the duplicate panels were still there.

So I did a completely new install and did not import prefs this time and after a couple of hours of work was back to normal.

I came back to work today after the weekend to find that now there are two duplicate "Accounts" panes...and NO internet pane at all.

Has anyone ever seen this or know where I might start looking to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance!
John

delete any file with 'systempreferences' as part of the file name, should be just a couple, reboot, should rebuild the system Prefs window for you. What ver of OS X are you running, I thought this was something that was fixed about 10.2.2 ? I don't know why this would come back so quickly, unless you've been playing around with themes???

Originally posted by DeltaMac
delete any file with 'systempreferences' as part of the file name, should be just a couple, reboot, should rebuild the system Prefs window for you. What ver of OS X are you running, I thought this was something that was fixed about 10.2.2 ? I don't know why this would come back so quickly, unless you've been playing around with themes???

Nope Delta, haven't been playing with themes. So-this is a known issue? I hadn't heard of this. (Maybe I need to read even more then I am already reading!!)

I thought it might have had something to do with Jeep Safari ...it syncs my bookmarks in safari with .mac.

I will give it a try. Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

Try nuking the following file in your own Library folder:

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache

as this will basically force your preference file for Preferences to be rebuilt. Works when you get an odd machine that loses Software Update or other pref pane.

Cheers.

Originally posted by DeltaMac

Originally posted by legacyb4
Try nuking the following file in your own Library folder:
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache
That's the one that did it. Thanks legacyb4 I appreciate your taking the time to post.

Worked for me too when two additional "Keyboard" icons appeared in the "Other" pane area. Thanks legacyb43.

Zeal :)

Back