DVD Burning

MLE

Upstate, New York
How can I burn a DVD so I can play in a DVD player? And what format do I burn it in?

If your Macintosh has an Apple-installed DVD-R drive, then you can use iDVD to burn a DVD disk that you create. Don't worry about the format, it'll do it for you through iDVD.

You can also use DVD Studio Pro, if you have it, but if you don't, it's kinda cost prohibitive. I believe it to be around $500.

If you don't have either of those, or you have a 3rd party DVD burner, then you'll need to use Roxio's Toast software. Simply select the "video" tab and make sure that "DVD Video" is selected in the slide-out menu. Then burn those MPEGs away!

If you're talking about copying a DVD, like for backup purposes, you'll have to do a little more work. It's not as easy as popping a DVD in and pressing "copy." Search around on google or yahoo for information on how to do this.

Yes, I have the Apple Superdrive on my Mac. I wish to burn a DVD of say - a movie that I have downloaded. Would iDVD do that?

I believe that iDVD would do that... I think all you've gotta do is drag and drop that movie you downloaded into iDVD and burn away!

Oh, on a side note, it's almost impossible to get DVD quality video from downloaded movies... I don't know if you're expecting that or not, but downloaded movies are typically compressed down to, oh, say, VHS quality.

You may also want to try burning a VCD -- you co do this through Toast if you have it. It's similar to a DVD, but you burn in on a CD-R instead of a DVD-R. Much poorer quality, but it's kinda cool to have a CD you can put in your DVD player and play... plus it's cheaper than DVDs.

Thank you for your help. It's really appreciated.

Another question: I have downloaded some videos, right now they're in .avi format. Do I need to convert it to a .mpeg or can I play an .avi formatted movie in a regualr DVD player?

I believe that iDVD will convert whatever format you throw at it to a DVD-compatible format, which would be MPEG2. But the format has to be supported by iDVD, and I don't know if AVIs are included in that compatibility.

Macs don't play well with AVIs. There are some players out there that'll play AVIs, but I don't know about converting them. If QuickTime will open and play the AVI file, it'll convert it as well, but you'll probably need to upgrade to the Pro version of QuickTime.

Here are a few programs that will convert AVIs to other formats, as well as converting DVDs to AVIs/MPEGS:

http://versiontracker.com/php/searc...e=basic&action=search&str=convert+avi&x=0&y=0

Does iDVD import AVI files? I'm not sure. My only experience is with QuickTime movies (.mov) so I can't tell you. It's been such a long time since I've used it.

I suggest converting your movies to QuickTime if possible before importing them into iDVD, just to make sure they're totally compatible. But as ElDiabloConCaca said, I think you need QuickTime Pro for this.

try MissingMediaBurner

its a front end for command line stuff, and is free as opposed to $80 toast

Back