DVD drive does not work in G4

rmmcwh

Registered
I have an old G4 Gigabit Ethernet, 512 Kb Ram, 10.4.7 that has lost the ability to recognize DVDs. I have tried 3 different internal DVD drives, tried switching the jumpers around in each, reset PRAM and firmware, reinstalled the OS, tried 3 different internal cables and several different media, and those media (burned and not burned) work in another Mac. The DVD drives do work in another Mac that I have. The DVD drives are recognized under system profile under the ATA and Disc Burning sections as DVD burners. The drives all also recognize CDs and can burn CDs in this Mac, just cannot recognize DVDs. Any ideas before I go out and buy fresh cables and another DVD drive. Thank you.

not all drives are compatible with all macs. just because it works in one mac doesn't mean it will work in another. i have it best to only get drives that say they are mac compatible, otherwise its a gamble.

rmmcwh said:
I have an old G4 Gigabit Ethernet, 512 Kb Ram, 10.4.7 that has lost the ability to recognize DVDs. I have tried 3 different internal DVD drives, tried switching the jumpers around in each, reset PRAM and firmware, reinstalled the OS, tried 3 different internal cables and several different media, and those media (burned and not burned) work in another Mac. The DVD drives do work in another Mac that I have. The DVD drives are recognized under system profile under the ATA and Disc Burning sections as DVD burners. The drives all also recognize CDs and can burn CDs in this Mac, just cannot recognize DVDs. Any ideas before I go out and buy fresh cables and another DVD drive. Thank you.

Check Accelerate Your Macintosh's drive database search lasso and put in your drive's information. Then you can read people's reports on how they got that drive working.

The DVD/CD drives that I have tried are:
2 Apple DVDRW DVR-104PB
Lite-On DVDRW SOWH-1633S

Note: All three worked before.

I have done a search online and downloaded a program to reflash the drive. The program recognizes what drive it is. I have tried it on all the dvd drives that I have, I get an error "ERROR - Unlock - Reset (Sense: 05 24 00) ERROR - Downgrade protection does not seem to exist on this drive ;)

Will continue to search. Thank s to anyone for their help or future ideas.

Back