Dvd Drive Only Works For Last Cd Ripped

Villain3g

Registered
It's very strange but my drive works fine for only on cd, the last one I ripped. All other cd's get spit out. I have rest pram, smc, and deleted cd info.cidb.

As I was ripping the cd that works, I changed the import setting to apple lossless. I assumed the change would take effect for the next cd. I don't know if that can indicate to a solution. Also, I'm using el capitan. I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
-Grant

It's very strange but my drive works fine for only on cd, the last one I ripped. All other cd's get spit out. I have rest pram, smc, and deleted cd info.cidb.

As I was ripping the cd that works, I changed the import setting to apple lossless. I assumed the change would take effect for the next cd. I don't know if that can indicate to a solution. Also, I'm using el capitan. I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
-Grant
How old is your DVD drive? Which Mac do you have?
Have you tried cleaning the drive? A simple blow from a "can-o-air" might do the trick.
If you have had this Mac (and the superdrive) for more than a couple of years, then, unfortunately, the slot loading drives are not known as the most reliable devices.
You may need to replace the drive, or you could try to do your burning from an external drive.

The iMac is about 5 years old. I blew it out with my can of air. But I don't think its a hardware issue because the last cd I ripped works fine when I put it back in. I'm thinking software, just don't know how to go about it.

What version of OS X do you have?

Go to your Apple menu, then About this Mac
That screen will list which version of OS X you are running - and will also tell you the specific Mac model that you have.

In addition to the can-o-air - you could try a commercial DVD drive cleaning disk.

An older DVD drive might burn a dvd OK. It should read the DVD that you just burned. If it won't read older or previously burned disks, even if burned on this same drive - I would first think that it is a hardware issue.
The reason that I say that is that a DVD drive has a laser used for burning. As it ages, the laser may not read older disks properly, and may be limited to using recently burned DVDs. You may find that it will continue to read commercial DVDs or music CDs.
This "read" issue is common with older burners, and the slim drives that Apple uses are not known as long-lasting devices, unfortunately.

If you want to try for software, you could always reinstall OS X. If your OS X version is anything newer than Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.x), then you won't have to use the DVD drive at all - you can boot to the recovery system where you just need a working internet connection to reinstall. That normal reinstall will be on top of what you already have, you won't lose any of your own files or applications. It's similar to a Windows repair install.

[Initiate Tangental Yet Effective Answer--Ed.]Spend about $30-50 for an external DVD burner which will not only last far longer than the aptly nam'd "MaSHITa DVD" player Macs use, it will work better, and you can also render it region free.[Tangent completed.--Ed.]

--J.D.

Back