DVD imaging problem

pequall

Registered
sup sup,

I have been having problems imaging my mini-DVDs from my SONY DCR DVD101. I have tried all of the options I can come up with to no avail.
-Just to be clear these are home movies
-FYI: SONY DCR DVD101 is a camcorder that records to mini-DVD uses USB to connect to Mac, therefore iMovie is basically useless to me.
-mini-DVDs play just fine in computer and dvd player

Disk Utility has made images of some of my mini-DVDs (so far only the SONY brand disks), but on my remaining disks I continue to get input/output error message. I get an I/O error using Toast 6.0.7 as well. I downloaded DVD Imager and that does not want to help either.

I believe these disks are not encrypted, hence the reason they can not be ripped (Mac the Ripper quits on me if I even try to rip them).

Basically I want to be able to copy these home movies to regular DVDs inorder to mail them to family. The images I was able to get using Disk Utility worked great and I was even able to "Join" several of them using DVD2OneX. I would like to be able to do so for all of my home movies.

Is there anything I can possibly be doing wrong?
Is there another way that I can extract the VIDEO_TS files in the disks to be able to copy them?
How can I determine if there is a corruption problem? Is there a fix for this if there is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

FYI: Running 10.3.9 on a iMac 700Mghz G4, 512memory, copying to external 120 gig HD, ran Disk Utility to verify disk etc.

I could be wrong about this - but doesn't the new version of Toast (7) open/extract Video-TS files?

He mentioned it doesn't work with those mini-DVDs. But: Give handbreak a try. I use it to rip DVD+RWs that I'm using in my DVD recorder. Works just fine for me.

thanks fryke ill try handbreak, but I am not familiar with the program. If i read correctly handbreak will create an Mpeg4 file from the VIDEO_TS file, am i right? so the question is, can I burn an Mpeg4 clip on to a DVD-R and have it play in a DVD player using toast?

hello,

I am still wondering about handbrake. Can you burn an Mpeg4 on to a DVD-R and have it play in a DVD player? I thought DVD was Mpeg2. Is this possible?

pequall said:
hello,

I am still wondering about handbrake. Can you burn an Mpeg4 on to a DVD-R and have it play in a DVD player? I thought DVD was Mpeg2. Is this possible?

Toast 7 will do that for you.

Back