DVD Player software not robust

eddiejoepopcorn

Registered
I have a Mac G4 running OSX 10.4.11. I sometimes watch DVD movies on the Mac, but unless the DVDs are perfectly clean and scratch free, they usually choke up at some point with the message that "DVD player has encountered an error from which it cannot recover". Now, this might seem to be normal behavior, since the DVD (library copy) is usually dirty or damaged. HOWEVER, in most cases, I can put the DVD on my Windows machine and it will play without a hitch. I am led to conclude that either my reader is inadequate, or the DVD Player program just isn't up to the task. I suspect the latter, but who can tell. My question, then, is there some alternative DVD player software on the web, free or otherwise, that I can install and use to get better performance?

Your problem is more likely to be affected by the optical drive, than the software in use.
Try using a drive cleaning disk - or, with a likely 7 year-old Mac, I would replace the internal CD drive. A new drive will be significantly faster, and won't be giving you problems with 7 or 8 years of accumulated dust.
But, there's the challenge of actually replacing the drive, eh?
So, try a drive cleaning disk first....

Back