DVD+R DL Burning problems in iDVD.

bryce87

Registered
Hello I bought DVD+R DL Verbatim Disks. I made a 4 hour project in iDVD. I went to save it as a disc image, and a error popped up saying
'Saving DL Disc images may cause burning problems if burned in Disk Utility."
Why would it say that first of all? Anyway I then chose burn from iDVD and it burned. I then played it in a new DVD player made by Sony no problem occured. I then played it in a Sony DVD player that is a year older than the other Sony DVD player and it skips. Is there a reason why it would do this? I emailed apple and they told me that DL discs aren't made for movies. I'm confused becuase right on the DL box it says for data amd movies. Can someone who has had experience with DL discs help me out?

I am very confused now I read the article and it says not all will play. My manuals say DL listed in the manuals and it's still not working. The weird thing is that it lists DL in the manual under DVD type it doesn't mention DL+ or DL-R so is that diffrent? Other than that I don't know what is wrong.

I'll try to explain this in a different way. If you burn a DVD to play in a set-top player, you should not expect that to play in every player that you try. Burned DVDs unfortunately are not accepted in every player out there.
what can you do? You can try a different brand of DVD-R, for example. You can also try to burn another copy. A different disk might work.

There are both DVD+R and DVD-R available. Although very different formats, many players can use both. You will be more successful with one than the other, you will have to experiment to see which works the best for you.

To answer your question about dual-layer (DL). At the present time, you can only purchase DVD+R DL. I have never seen DVD-R DL

Most commercial movies that you purchase come on dual-layer disks, and have for at least 5 years or so? So, you have a valid comment. I think you have to compare the level of care taken in the manufacture of (pre-recorded) movie DVDs produced in a commercial setup. Commercial disks are produced in a controlled environment, every disk is identical (as much as the technology allows)
You cannot control the burning conditions on your own system, at least to the level that a commercial cloning setup provides (for tens of thousands of dollars, the equipment needs to be very stable). Your home computer with the built-in burner just won't achieve that same level of consistency. So, some burned disks that you make will not always be reliable in every player.
The technical answer is likely more complex, but I think this covers the main point.

Thank you. I guess I'll just use the DL discs for data instead of DVD movies. I"ll just use single layer discs for movies. It is a bummer but it saves a lot of time and enregy to make a long project and then find out it doesn't work.

Back