DVD+R on OSX?

Freiheit

Registered
Okay, I've tried many times to search for "DVD+R" support in MacOS X, but search engines always return both DVD-R and DVD+R results (apparently even if in quotes the + gets interpreted as "AND" or is ignored altogether.

I know Apple doesn't officially support DVD+R but since the 4X and 8X SuperDrives are dual-format burners I know it's theoretically possible that +R discs could be used. Now I also know that unlike the PC realm from which I come, the Mac realm likes to only work with specific technologies (for instance iDVD won't even install unless an Apple certified SuperDrive is installed) so is it truly possible to record to DVD+R media in OSX?

I mean, technically it's up to the hardware to be concerned about the type of disc, not the OS. I can record to DVD+R discs under OS/2 on the PC, which has only minimal DVD-R support and no official DVD+R support. It's just that I've yet to see any official word on whether it can be done in OSX. Perhaps using CDRecord or DVDRecord instead of iDVD? How about in Toast?

I would appreciate any comments from people who have actually tried it - theoretical discussion is unnecessary at this point. :) Thank you.

DVD+R recording is supported for Finder burning only. You can burn a data DVD+R from the Finder, but no other Apple applications (iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, iPhoto) will burn a DVD+R disk.

Toast and 3rd party utilities can also burn a lot of DVD+R formats without limitation.

Excellent. Thank you for the quick response. I've got a (short) stack of 8X DVD+R discs that I wanted to be sure I could use on my new Mac. I didn't want to have to sell a spindle of 17 discs. :)

Back