DVD RW drive won't read DVDs

Firepoet

Registered
I bought a brand new dvd rw drive, and put it in my PC. Worked fine. Then my PC died, so I thought I'd just put it into my G4. It powers on, the tray opens, but when I put in a DVD, nothing happens. My external dvd drive works fine however.
I'm not sure of where to begin troubleshooting. Any ideas?

First of all open /Applications/Utilities/System Profiler and when it opens click on 'Disk Burning' and report what it says. Also please list you version of OS X you are using and what G4 you have.

I have three ideas:
1. Your disk burner is incompatible (check that box that it came in, see if there are any drivers on a CD or something, and check the owners manual to see supported systems)
2. (if playing DVDs) Wrong region code? (unlikely)
3. (if burning DVDs) There is a big difference between DVD-R's and DVD+R's. Check the manual that came with the burner to see what type you should use. iDVD 4 only supports DVD-R's.

Also you may have put in the drive wrong. There is a great source for hardware modifications over at Accelerate Your Macintosh. Just go to their drive search lasso and plug in your information. I say this because there is most likely another person in the world that tried almost the same thing you did.

DVD drives all work in most all Apple modern machines. I have the latest/greatest drive installed into mine and it works with with the latest firmware, no PC needed.

I'm using 10.4 on an old dual 500 mhz G4.
I went to system profiler and it says nothing is connected. It is a NEC drive, and they apparently only have drivers for OS 6 O_O

I figured it out. It was a bad ribbon cable. Since I was using an external dvd drive, I never knew that the cable was bad.

Back