dvd shrinking to CD

zoranb

Registered
how can i shrink a dvd 2 cd?
i already have it on my hd (i made a toast image, then i mount it and from the mount i made a copy of the files on my hd)

what apps can i use?

You might need to explain a little more what you intend to do once you get the DVD files down to "CD-size." Simply burning DVD files to a CD won't do anything, unless the only place you want to play the files is on the computer.

If you intend to make a VCD out of the DVD, then you'll need something along the lines of Toast.

Please explain in greater detail what exactly you're trying to do, as there are many, many programs for shrinking DVDs -- but not all of them accomplish the same thing. We need more info in order to point you to the correct software. Do you want to make a VCD? Do you want to make something that's playable in a set-top DVD player? Are the DVDs copy-protected (which would make this a bit more difficult and possibly illegal)? Are the DVDs regular video DVDs, or are they data DVDs?

ElDiabloConCaca you are right...
when i said DVD2CDrom i mean of course something that fits in CD and is playable on the DVDplayer. Of course i want to preserve the subtitles...is that possible?
The DVDs are videoDVDsm, and i dont think that they are well protected.
So what i want to do is to make SCVD out of the DVD!

Subtitles I don't know about -- I have limited but decent experience with VCDs, but not all that much.

Do you have Roxio's Toast? If not, you may want to look around a little on versiontracker.com -- do a search for "DVD to VCD" or something similar to that. If that doesn't turn up anything, I'll poke around a little for you and see what I can find!

Try ffmpegX. It's a bit of a pain to install and use, but it's a very, very versatile and powerful video converter. You can use it to convert vobs from a DVD into a VCD, optionally selecting a subtitle track to use.

Keep in mind that if you're using VCD, you can't have subtitles the way a DVD does. The subtitles will need to be burned onto the video track, so you won't be able to turn them off or have multiple subtitle languages.

Also, of course, the video quality will suck with VCD. VCDs use MPEG1 video at pretty low resolutions, so expect quality MUCH worse than DVD.

If your DVD player support MPEG4/Divx, you may want to burn it that format, which will look a helluva lot better than a VCD. To find out if your DVD player supports this, look it up at http://www.videohelp.com/.

not well protected? Sounds like you're trying to do something illegal. Read the board rules, please!

If you however want to do something _not_ illegal, there are quite a few commercial tools that will allow you to transform a DVD's movie (not the subtitles, though, AFAIK) into an SVCD. Davideo does that for example.

fryke said:
not well protected? Sounds like you're trying to do something illegal. Read the board rules, please!

If you however want to do something _not_ illegal, there are quite a few commercial tools that will allow you to transform a DVD's movie (not the subtitles, though, AFAIK) into an SVCD. Davideo does that for example.

its a free DVD given as a gift along with the weekends newspapers thats why i said not well protected!!!

Mikuro said:
Try ffmpegX. It's a bit of a pain to install and use, but it's a very, very versatile and powerful video converter. You can use it to convert vobs from a DVD into a VCD, optionally selecting a subtitle track to use.

Keep in mind that if you're using VCD, you can't have subtitles the way a DVD does. The subtitles will need to be burned onto the video track, so you won't be able to turn them off or have multiple subtitle languages.

Also, of course, the video quality will suck with VCD. VCDs use MPEG1 video at pretty low resolutions, so expect quality MUCH worse than DVD.

If your DVD player support MPEG4/Divx, you may want to burn it that format, which will look a helluva lot better than a VCD. To find out if your DVD player supports this, look it up at http://www.videohelp.com/.

man this is very hard to use. plus the fact that i dnt know what password it means thats its needed when installing the plugins

Back