DVD writer on OS9.1

bez

Registered
I have a Lacie DVD writer (design by F.A. Porsche) and am trying to get it to run on my G3 Mac (processor upgraded to G4) running OS9.1 and Toast Titanium 5.2.3.

The Drive is recognised in the system profiler as a USB peripheral, but Toast will not recognise it and there were no driver disks shipped with the product.

If i put a dvd into the drive it will mount on the desktop and can be read.

The problem is that i cannot burn to dvd.

Toast cannot recognise the drive. I have checked the LAcie website and there are no drivers available - please help getting desperate!!

The main problem may be trying to burn a DVD with a USB connection, very flaky, and very slow if you can get it to work. If this is a fairly new drive, maybe you can return it for a FireWire model. If you have a B&W G3, even then, the poor FireWire ports on that model might not play well with this newer drive.

There used to be an OS 9 utility that would help you write drivers (actually Authoring Support files) for unsupported drives, but I don't know about using that with newer burner models, and I think Roxio has to supply support for any burners in their Toast 5 software (not updated for nearly 3 years, I think.)
Even with drive support, you're fighting a losing battle trying to burn a DVD under OS 9 through a USB port, and there is no support for USB 2.0 with OS 9

Back