dvd writer problem

bl30

Registered
I have a G4, 933 w/ 512 RAM operating on 10.3.9. My driver is a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104. Here's my problem:

I'm trying to use Popcorn to create a copy of a DVD and when I hit the record button, the window prompts me to put in blank DVD. When I do this and hit "close tray" it closes and then ejects the tray, makes a strange sound and spins the disc around after it ejects. I've tried repairing disc permissions and that didn't fix anything. I've tried using a couple different blank discs with the same result. I'm using Sony DVD-Rs if that would make a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Does this happen only with Popcorn, or does it happen every time you try to burn any kind of CD/DVD (data, music, video, etc.)?

This is the first time I've tried to burn a DVD. I burned an audio cd, an MP3 and a data disc this morning and they all worked perfectly. I tried to burn a DVD through iDVD and that didn't work either. I got an error message (which sadly I didn't write down and now I can't get it to show up again), then I tried it again and it said something about my writer not being supported by iDVD, which I don't understand because the superdrive came installed directly from the factory when I bought it. I'm thoroughly puzzled. Any ideas? Thanks.

I would recommend trying with some higher-quality media, like Verbatim or Apple's own DVD-R media -- without trying with different media, we can't narrow down the problem.

The DVR-104 is a 2x writer -- what speed are the Sony DVD-Rs rated? I would suggest using only 1x or 2x media with that drive, although 4x media should work (but it will need to be burned at 1x, strangely enough).

Thank you so much for your help. I've tried Sony and Imation DVDs with the same result. I haven't tried an Apple DVD-R yet. The Sony discs are rated 1x-8x. However, I haven't attempted the burn settings at 2x so I'll give that a try.

I'm sorry by my last post, I meant to say "I haven't tried the burn settings at 1x". Anyway, I DID try that (1x) and it worked like a charm. Thank you for all your help.

The Sony 1-to-8 discs suck toads.

You need a lower X-ness with the 104, like 4X or lower.

I've had great luck with Samsung DigitAll 1X discs from
meritline.com (50 cents or so). I need to go that low
for compatibility with my old consumer DVD-writer.

Back