Dvds Not Recognized On Powerbook G4

Lester22

Registered
Hi there-

I have a three year-old Powerbook G4, 15" aluminum; 512 MB of RAM, and I'm running OS X 10.3.9. The SuperDrive is not recognizing any DVDs whatsoever. The drive will spin, attempt to read the DVD, and then eject it. This hasn't been a problem with CDs or CD-Rs. I have tried resetting the PRAM, to no avail. Any suggestions?

-Rob

Do you have any bootable DVDs, like the Apple Softare Restore DVD, that you could try and boot from? If you can boot from a DVD, then it's likely a software problem.

I was actually able to boot from a Tiger install DVD. Then I installed Tiger, upgraded to 10.4.2, upgraded DVD Player to the latest version, and am still having the same problem. Any thoughts?

So, even the Tiger install DVD, which actually worked before, is no more mounting? If so then it sounds like you rather have a software relatd problem there. Am not sure if your superdrive is supported but there is a very interesting firmware available that improved many functions of my titanium superdrive. Check out http://superdrive.cynikal.net/

The Tiger install DVD works when I start up from it - if I put it in while the computer is running, it isn't recognized. I have been looking for firmware updates, but it looks like I have the latest version of the firmware for my particular computer - 4.7.1f1.

Back