DVDs not recognized

DCD

Registered
Hi there,

First of all I just want to say that its a great idea to have this "ask a question" section!

I have a 500Mhz G4 Cube with a DVD rom drive. After I installed 10.0.4 all of a sudden my drive stopped recognizing DVDs! I didn't do anything or install any weird programs. One day DVDs were recognized with the familiar DVD icon appearing on the desktop, the next nothing!! Everytime a DVD is inserted the drive takes about 15 seconds to spit it out. It doesnt spin the disc at all...just ejects it with no message appearing anywhere.
If I insert CD there is no problem at all! They work just fine...its only DVDs.
At that point I suspected it was probably due to 10.0.4 and was expecting that after I upgraded to 10.1 all would be OK. Obviously nothing is changed after the 10.1 upgrade...so here I am...begging for help!!

I was thinking of opening up the computer and disconnecting the drive, and then reconnecting it so to reset the firmware or something...but I though I better post a question here before I do something stupid. I have done a hardware and software check and everything is OK. The same thing happens in classic...

I appreciate any help!! No one has been able to provde me with an answer, as nothing seems to be broken!! I want my DVD drive back!!!!!!

I look forward to any replies:)

If the day before you were using Mac OS 9, then it explains it all : Mac OS 10.0.4 doesn't recognize DVDs. You'll have to install version 10.1 to be able to read DVDs in Mac OS X...

Whatever the reason, you should install version 10.1 anyway. There are absolutely no justification to stick with version 10.0.4 : it is slower and a lot less fun to use.

Install 10.1 and enjoy your DVDs ! ;)

I have been using 10.1 for 3 weeks!!-->

"At that point I suspected it was probably due to 10.0.4 and was expecting that after I upgraded to 10.1 all would be OK. Obviously nothing is changed after the 10.1 upgrade...so here I am...begging for help!! "

Nothing has changed with 10.1!! While using 10.0.4 if I inserted a DVD it would not play it obviously, but at least the icon would show on the desktop. Then one day the DVDs were no longer recognized and my drive doesn't even spin the disc...just ejects it.
Nothing has changd since installin 10.1!

Help
:(

Originally posted by DCD
At that point I suspected it was probably due to 10.0.4 and was expecting that after I upgraded to 10.1 all would be OK. Obviously nothing is changed after the 10.1 upgrade...
Oops ! Obviously, I skipped a sentence when I read your post !!! :D

Of course, your DVD drive still works when you revert to Mac OS 9, right ? Because if it doesn't the problem is in the drive, not the OS !!! :D

This being said, since you have a problem that cannot be explained logically, I would hypothesize a corrupt system of some sort. If I were you, in this situation, I would try these 2 things :
  1. Throw away all the OS related prefs in the ~/Library/Preferences and the /Library/Preferences folders. Restart. Test.
  2. If it still doesn't work : reboot in Mac OS 9, erase everything related to Mac OS X (including the invisible system files) and reinstall Mac OS X from scratch. Restart. Test.
If it still doesn't work at that point then I am lost : it should work with a non-corrupt system because you have one of the new DVD drives with software MPEG-2 decoding (the only one supported in Mac OS X... this is why the original Apple-provided DVD drives don't work).

It doesn't work in OS9.2 either!! If it is the drive how do I get it fixed?? I mean......other than sending the whole computer away for 3-4 months?

I installed 10.1.1 today hoping that it would solve my misterious problem........but obviously nothing still!! CDs still work..it is just very strange that the drive seems to have forgotten how to recognize/read DVDs

Don't know what to do anymore!

:rolleyes: :(

Thanks anyways:(

Originally posted by DCD
It doesn't work in OS9.2 either!! If it is the drive how do I get it fixed?? I mean......other than sending the whole computer away for 3-4 months?
Then it is the drive that is broken, because if it doesn't work in a standard install of Mac OS 9, it is because you have a broken drive. (But check first if the version of the DVD player in Mac OS 9 is 2.7)

If you run "Apple System Profiler", does it see your drive ? Is it labeled as a CD or as a DVD drive ?

If you run the Hardware Test CD that came with your computer, does it find any problem ?

If I were you, I would call the shop where you bought your cube to see if they couldn't simply swap the broken drive for a new one. If they cannot and you have to send it to Apple, phone them first, it can only help !

Back