Dvi Problem Connecting G4 Agp With Hd Tv

fernandos1

Registered
I have a PowerMac G4 500mhz AGP model. I believe that it has a 2x AGP Card. When I connect the mac via the VGA connection to my monitor, it works great, however, when I try to connect it to my 60" HD TV via DVI, I get the Apple grey screen but then it goes black. I know that the cables are good because I have connected my powerbook to the TV and it works. Any suggestions?

Thanks

It sounds like it's switching to a resolution that is outside the range of the TV, or, may not support that particular TV's resolution at all.

Is the video card an aftermarket video card that you installed, or the stock card that came with the system? What is the exact model of TV you're trying to connect it to?

It's the stock AGP Radeon 128 16Mb video card going into a SONY 60" HDTV with an DVI connection. When I connnect my powerbook it works just fine, but nt with my powermac

thanks

Hmmm... does that Rage have a DVI output, which you're hooking up directly to the TV, or does it have an ADC output, which you're hooking up to the TV through an adaptor?

Have you tried booting your Mac in safe mode? When you hear the startup chime, hold down the SHIFT key. It's worth a try. I did a Google search on safe mode to see what happens with the screen resolution but found nothing.

Doug

Has anyone found an answer to this yet? I am trying to do something similar with my new Panasonic HDTV, and I get as far as the apple as well. If I try plugging in a vga monitor and the dvi as well, then it recognizes neither of them( i checked it out using vnc) any thoughts?

You guys have tried lowering the resolution in OS X when you are booting off a monitor and then boot to the TV right?

Ive tried a few different ones, but whenever I try this, it still shows nothing on the display. Is there a specific resolution that you suggest trying? I dont think that os x recognizes that the TV is attached, because when I go in with vnc, it shows no displays attached in the menu.

On my G5, I have 2 monitors, both 17's that go to 1280x1024. I noticed that if I don't have the secondary one on when I boot the computer OS X fails to detect it correctly, but it realizes that one is conneted, it falls into mirror mode at 640x480. Once OSX loads, if I do a detect displays from preference pane it corrects it's self. Try that maybe?

What is you make and model of TV, if you google it or something it should be able to tell you what resolution it runs at.

Unfortunately this is an older G4/450(AGP and as I understand it, you can only use one display at a time. The video card is a rage 128 pro with vga and dvi out. I know the port itself works, since I am getting

Sadly, the impression i get is that I may need to go to a different video card. I got the G4 with monitor, keyboard/mouse, dvd burner, and 60 gb of space for a good price, so I may be able to invest a few more bucks, but I want to try everything possible with this video card first.

On a related note, does anybody know a low cost dvi out card that would work with this computer and it's AGP 2x port?

I found a whole bunch of Mac gfx cards at www.dvwarehouse.com.

It looks like places that sell Macs such as OtherWorldComputing sell only the newer cards like the 9200. I believe the 9200 will work at 2x but am not sure. It's $130 though. I'm sure there have to be some cheaper cards that will work, such as what you may find at dvwarehouse.

EDIT: Whoa, some of their prices seem outrageous!

Doug

can people give me some examples of video cards that have successfully output from the dvi port to an hdtv?
Do you think a radeon 8500 would do the trick?

BTW, thanks for the advice given so far

Back