DVR-104 won't read or write DVD-R's

Bad Co

Registered
I have the PIONEER DVR-104 Drive in my MDD Dual 1Ghz G4 that has stopped reading DVD's. It still reads CD's just fine and will write CD-R's just fine. To get arround the problem (I need to be able to atleast read DVD's) I've installed a plain DVD drive in bay 2. This problem existed before I upgraded to 10.2.4 so it was there under 10.2.3 as well. Toast and the Apple System Profiler recognize it as a DVR-104, the proper drive. Lets see what else can I tell you... We are using Apple branded media. When I do drop a DVD-R in the drive whether blank or written it trys to read it for about 30 sec then spits it back out. Any Ideas, please help!

I'm pretty sure it isn't a software item now =( I've tried different user logins under 10.2.4 and booting to a os9 system, still no luck. Question do super drives actually have 2 lasers, one for CD's and one for DVD's? This would make sense with the symptoms of my problem. Anyone have any ideas before i call apple?

yeah, the data is burned at two different wavelengths the 104 is a good drive, but really old - Pioneer drives don't last forever - lucky, you can buy a brand new 118D or something for about $40 on Ebay, etc...

Back