DVR K04L Pioneer "Uncorrectable Error"

easterhay

little green rosetta
Hi folks,

I'm trying to back up a movie to a DVD-R using the DVR K04L Pioneer in my G4 17" iMac (running 10.4.11).

It's always worked beautifully in the past, but suddenly I get the following message when Toast Titanium has finished compressing:

The drive reported an error:
Sense key = medium error
Sense code = 0x11, 0x05
L-EC Uncorrectable Error

When I click ok, I then get a message saying:

The disc failed to be written

Can anyone tell me if this is the batch of discs or the drive. Oh, and I've tried using Burn and can't write to the disc either.

Cheers,

'hay

If it's just that one movie that won't burn as a copy, then it's very likely that the movie disk has some manufacturing fault (bad disk), where you can still play the movie, but a copy won't complete. Could even be some form of copy protection. Sony media movies appear to be the worst that way.
Did you try to archive some other movie to check if that one movie is the only failure?
If you are now getting a general failure to burn any DVD-R, then your drive could be failing. As always in this situation, be sure to try another brand of media before you decide that the burner is failing.

Ok, thanks, I'll try those pointers. I've tried several blanks from the same batch of DVD-R (and they're Verbatim, which have never given me problems in the past) but maybe it's a bad batch.
The drive also rejected a DVD-R I inserted yesterday onto which I had backed up a different movie which works in the DVD player.
Will buy a different brand of DVD-R and see what happens. Also about to try an audio CD.

EDIT - The audio CD worked fine, so fingers crossed for a change of media

Last edited:
Back