edit system spell checker

sinclair_tm

wow, 1.4g is way faster!
ok, i'm a really bad speller, so when apple added spell checking to the os, i thought it was a godsend. well, i just got my 1st laptop, an used ibook g4. i love it, but the keyboard is smaller than i'm used to, so my spelling is even worse. and on top of that, i'm still learning to use the clickable touch pad (i get a lot of misclicks). well, i spelled a word wrong, and control clicked and started moving up to select the correct spelling when i messed up and ended up on learn spelling. now my os is learning to spell as bad as me, one word at a time. well, i want to know if there is a way to unlearn the bad spelling like you can on most word processors, or is there a file that i can edit in the system that contains all the custom spellings, and just edit out that entry. any and all help would be welcome. thanks.

Might be better in your case to delete the custom spelling dictionary.
You can find that file in your user/Library/Spelling folder
If English, the file will probably be named simply 'en'.

And, you can start the process over, 'learn' when you need to.

You can easily unlearn the spellchecker by entering the misspelled word and clicking the Forget bezel.

i know which folder you ment, and it wasn't there. are you sure its not a folder from a different spelling app installed? and there is no forget button or selection either. again, this is 10.4.11's system wide spell checker, not some app.

Gee, I still have the Forget button in 10.4.9.

Until you enter in a word though it remains a little greyed out.

Attachments

• Forget.jpg
    Forget.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 8
i know which folder you ment, and it wasn't there. are you sure its not a folder from a different spelling app installed? and there is no forget button or selection either. again, this is 10.4.11's system wide spell checker, not some app.

No, I don't use any other spell software.
It's created by the system.

Use Spotlight - search for a folder named Spelling. It should show up there.

Mac OS X 10.5.8 --- HAS NO "FORGET" button !!!!

IT DOES NOT EXIST !!!

If you TRY and EDIT the "en" file ,,, you get a PAGE OF GIBBERISH ,,, NO FORMATTING !!!

your REPLIES are IRRELEVANT !!!

Why are you yelling at a post from 3 years ago! (no need to yell at all :D )
Editing the spelling file is not too challenging (and is actually relevant, too). You just have to use an app that provides a usable file when you you are done, such as TextWrangler.

Back