Eh... Apple hyped to much!!!!!!!!!!

I should also mention Manic, my primary video card in my macintosh/osx machine is a hacked up PC nvidia geforce2mx.
Contrary to popular opinion, PC components will work on a mac system providing their are suitable mac bios/flash roms for them...

As the Geforce2mx mac/x86 use more or less an identical board, the only thing I had to do was flash the bios on the card with a mac rom I found off the web.. Instructions are on xlr8yourmac.com I think.

Works a charm too.

So for me, the cost of buyin a pc gf2mx was about half the price of buying the exact same apple "approved" / sold card off their website.
With no difference in the chipset/design other than a little apple logo and ADC :)

Dual 500 G4 - bought it a december 2000.

I was really hoping apple would release a faster g4 this macworld, because I'd love to sell this system.
I have a rage128 as a secondary video card (pci) and two sony 19" monitors.. Great system, I plan on selling it all intact.

Desperately chasing 19" lcds, I'm eyeing up two viewsonic vg191 (black lcds) to go with my new g4/g5 (?) in july.. or whenever motorola decides to keep up with the jones':)

Originally posted by ManicDVLN
THIS IS WHERE MACS FALL SHORT, THEY ARE NOT CUSTOMIZABLE, YOU CANNOT UPGRADE THEM. YOU HAVE VERY STRICT LIMITATIONS ON HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE.

Untrue. There are G4 and Firewire upgrades for early Rev iMacs. You can easily turn a G3 233 into a G4 450 with FireWire.

AND IF THEY CHANGE THE FUCKEN IMAC EVERY YEAR, IT'S LIKE CHANGING A GAME CONSOLE, IT'S NOT CUSTOMIZABLE, IT IS NOT A PC.

Again, this isn't true. Most additions to computer hardware can be done externally through USB and especially FireWire, because it is a VERY FAST INTERFACE. I prefer to expand externally with certain devices anyway. A FireWire CD-R gives me much more use and possibility as an external, portable device.

DON'T YOU PPL EVEN THINK THAT ANY PC USER WOULD BUY THIS CRAP. THEY'RE MAN MADE PRISON BOXES, IF YOU BUY ONE, ITS LIKE BUYING A TV, IT WILL HAVE THE SAME FEATURES FOR THE REST OF THAT MACHINES LIFE... FOREVER!

No, as can be proven with the fact that Apple released machines like the 8600 with System 7 preloaded, and they run 9.1 faster than 7 ran on the same unupgraded hardware. Is X slower? Yes. But all you have to do is look at it to see why. And you know what? Its worth it to me to have the interface be slower when the actual processes running (Illustrator filters, video compression, network interaction) are much faster. Another example would be my Quadra660, which 9 years later runs a Mac OS (8.1) that is compatible with most software for 9.x and even some that runs on X as well. THAT is backward compatability my friend.

NOT EVEN IN 2 YEARS, YOU PEOPLE WILL ALREADY REALISE THIS IMAC, WHICH SOME FOOLS IN THIS FORUM WILL BUY, WILL FEEL THE OBSOLETENESS OF THEIR "NEW" MACHINE VERY QUICKLY.

So what's Apple supposed to do, not innovate? The WinTel world puts out the same garbage for years at a time with slight tweeks and additions with fancy buzwords and no real functionality out of the box. Apple provides a unique, complete experience as soon as you plug in your computer. Keep in mind that the iMac is NOT made for the type of user that upgrades their comptuers constantly – its made for home users who just want to USE their computer, not fix of upgrade it, and that demographic buys a new computer every 2 or 3 years anyway. Its a statistical fact.

IT'S FUNNY THAT APPLE HAS THE SAME IDEA FOR ITS SOFTWARE, OS9 APPS ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH OSX APPS, YOU HAVE TO BUY EVERYTHING NEW.

Again, that's not true. That's what Classic is for. That's how I run Photoshop in X (c'mon Adobe!). And the latest versions of X run Classic faster than running OS 9 alone.

So, really, you have no argument.

And man, I hate people that F**Kin' post in all caps.

thedbp

Originally posted by thedbp
And man, I hate people that F**Kin' post in all caps.

thedbp
Dead giveaway it's a pc troll. Mac users have more sense than that. *ahem*
Goddamn I hate capslock.

Back