El Capitan System Folder Icons

Curiosity

Registered
Using Mac OS El Capitan, I changed some system folder icons in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources to full-colour folder images. For instance, I changed ApplicationsFolderIcon.icns to put a full-colour image on it rather than a silhouette. These images do not appear in the Mac interface. That worked with Mac OS Snow Leopard, but not in El Capitan. Why are the folder images in there if they are not used, and where are the actual system folder images really located?

Likely everything that you want to know about changing the icons in your system under El Capitan, then Sierra, would be on this thread.
The key is that you will need to disable SIP to change most system icons - a security feature in OS X that did not exist yet in Snow Leopard.
You may find out that even if you change some icons, that the Dock may still show the old ones. The dock icons are stored somewhere else. That thread may mention that, too.

The only dock icon that was a problem was the folder for Applications. I found that replacing that icon in the Get Info window for that folder that I got it to change. I did disable SIP first. I was unable to change the Utilities icon in the Applications window when I click the folder in the dock. It changed in the Finder view. The icon for Documents in the sidebar did not change. That might be because of Total Finder setting it?

You may be right about possible conflicts (however minor) with third party apps that can affect how icons are displayed.
I'm pretty sure that the Finder, the Dock, and the Sidebar icons might be independent of one another.

One tip that I use occasionally (and might help you), is to simply drop the home/Library/Caches folder in the trash. Log out of your user, then log back in - or simply restart your Mac to create a fresh Caches folder.

Doing that did change the Utilities folder in Applications, but did nothing to the sidebar. I did get the Downloads image to change by removing it and putting it back in, but not the Documents. The other folder items (All My Files, user account, desktop, Movies, Music, Pictures) were all changed by Total Finder and I am happy with the new ones. I'll have to live with the Documents sidebar icon, I guess.
Thanks for the tip. At least, I can see Utilities the way I want.

Back