eMac Monitor too dark after 10.4.3 update

BrianL74

Registered
After updating to 10.4.3, I restarted the eMac 1Ghz and everything was fine. The display went to sleep and after it came back to life, the whole monitor is half as bright as it should be. Almost like its still half asleep.

I've had to turn brightness and contrast all the way just to be able to see anything. Also, its screen image went to a small square in the center of the screen. I was able to adjust this in the Geometery, but it goes back if I reset the PRAM.

I really need some help here. This eMac is my livelihood.

P.S. the iBook 1.25Ghz update went fine...so far.

Thanks!!!

I have the same problem on both of my emacs (Mini not impacted), and have tried everything: zapped the NVPRAM,tried open firmware reset,recalibrated most profiles, tried freeware Brightness Control panel. It's still way too dark, as if the contrast and brightness controls were reset way too low. Any ideas would be appreciated.

OK, disregard the above post from Mr. LCD, as that it obviously not a solution.

This might be a long shot, but have you tried trashing the Finder preferences in Library and ~/Library? This is just a hunch, but hopefully it will work. It's fixed some things for me in the past.

For the record, I googled online but couldn't find anything helpful about it.

Post back with the results.

nixgeek said:
OK, disregard the above post from Mr. LCD, as that it obviously not a solution.

This might be a long shot, but have you tried trashing the Finder preferences in Library and ~/Library? This is just a hunch, but hopefully it will work. It's fixed some things for me in the past.

For the record, I googled online but couldn't find anything helpful about it.

Post back with the results.

Do you have any concept of sarcasm or humor? Seems not. You always seem so dry and serious about everything. I obviously did not mean go by an LCD... But i have never had any problem with this. Try reseting the finder preferences and like nixgeek said, as it has helped me too.

SuperTyphoon said:
Do you have any concept of sarcasm or humor? Seems not. You always seem so dry and serious about everything. I obviously did not mean go by an LCD... But i have never had any problem with this. Try reseting the finder preferences and like nixgeek said, as it has helped me too.

Of course I do...I'm a parent. ;)

And you didn't provide any help initially....had you done so, I would have "moved along, nothing to see here..."

Resetting the finder preferences didn't help, but thanks for the idea. However, using the geometry tab and resetting to factory defaults helped a little. This had the effect of creating a little slack in the brightness control under the display tab. Playing with the contrast control under Universal Access control helped a bit also. But overall, the display(s) are still no where near as good as the were before the 10.4.3 update install. Interestingly, the eMac with Shapeshifter installed is better off then the un-customized one.

Create a new test user account and see if the problem still there. This way you will know if it is system wide or just with your account.

I second SatComer's suggestion. You also muight want to check to see waht the refresh rate on the monitor is set to. I've seen some refresh rates actually dim the screens when set to supported but much higher frequency. Play around with different rates and see if that changes anything.

It's system wide across accounts, and on both eMacs (networked). I think I used to be able to set the refresh rate separately, but now it seems to be locked in by setting resolution (only one refresh rate available per resolution).

Back