eMac Slowing Down

Sparrowhawk

Registered
My antiquated eMac is slowing down. My guess is the hard drive is dying. Fortunately I hav a back up eMac to replace the first computer but I don't know how to transfer data from one computer to another. Is there someone in the Macomb county area next to Detroit MI who could perfom this task, for a fee of course. Please PM me if you can help. Thanks!

I can't help you with Michigan local help - but I can offer a couple of tips.
By far, the easiest method is to connect the two eMacs together with a firewire cable.
Start the slow eMac while holding the T key. You'll see a firewire icon floating on the screen.
Start the OTHER eMac normally. The first Mac will appear on the second eMac as an external drive. And, just copy whatever files you need.

Or, if you just want all apps, settings, and the rest of your files, then you can run the Migration Assistant (in the Applications/Utilities folder), and transfer what you want. The migration assistant takes care of putting everything where it needs to go.

Delta, thank you so much for your input. As it turns out, running MacJanitor seems to have cleared up the problem. However, I'm printing out your information against a time when it does become necessary to transfer info into my second Mac. I may do it regardless! Much thanks!

DeltaMac, it seems the MacJanitor didn't fix the problem after all, so I'm going to get a firewall cable. My question: what ports do I use to connect the wirewall?

It's "Firewire" :D

To connect the two eMacs, you would want to find what is called a 6-pin to 6-pin cable for Firewire 400.
Here's an example: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/1394A66036/
(nice price, too - unless 3 feet length is too short for your needs, other lengths are available)

If you look at your eMac ports, you'll see that the two ports directly behind the USB ports are the firewire ports. They are identified with an icon that resembles a dog's head. You can see that icon here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394
You can use either Firewire port on either eMac to connect them.

Back