eMac Upgrade questions

does the Mac version of IE use the same engine that it does for Windows? i need IE to edit my website and IE using Wine is too unstable and unusable

does the Mac version of IE use the same engine that it does for Windows? i need IE to edit my website and IE using Wine is too unstable and unusable
If you need IE for your website, then clearly you don't need others to visit your website. At its best, IE is the least standards-compliant browser available. IE 5.2.3, the last Mac version of Microsoft's browser, is so unstable that it will crash if you breathe on your monitor. IE 6, the latest version that works consistently under WINE, is not much better. My advice to you is to migrate to web development tools that will allow you to develop for browser that people use this decade.

ok techs i found the only DDR RAM i got left 1gb adding to the 256mb provided with my rev c eMac how well will leo preform on 1.25gb of ram?

Yes, in normal use you have will less pageouts, depending on how you actually use your Mac.
Will you _see_ a noticeable difference?
Sure, with apps that use a lot of memory, that will help your system to be more responsive, maybe more stable.
As always, more memory allows you to use a larger number of apps at the same time, so more RAM will give you a system that is smoother, more responsive - in general.
How much difference you will actually notice, and to what degree, depends on what you do, and how you use your Mac.

hey techs i have a question ok so i got my eMac today 1st thing i did was install the 1GB or RAM which happened the be the same type of RAM already in the eMac (PC2700) i also put in a DVD Drive since all i had was a CD Drive i also replaced the PVRAM battery now heres where the trouble begins whenever i plug in my Mac OS X supported USB wifi card i the mac locks up saying i have to turn it off oddly this only happens when i plug it into the keyboard any idea why a USB wifi card in a USB 1.1 Keyboard port would cause this problem?

I agree - the USB ports on a keyboard often don't supply enough power for a lot of USB devices. Those keyboard ports are really only best for a mouse or other pointing device.

Also, some USB wireless adapters are not supported in OS X (especially if you have an older version of OS X). Best choice is to find an Airport Extreme card. There's a built-in slot for one, and you don't have to give up a USB port.
I suggest that you use an ethernet connection until you get the rest of your system sorted out.

the USB wifi adaptor i have IS supported for mac OS X from 10.3 to 10.6 just have to download the driver and OS X sees it as a eathernet connection using the utility provided i can connect to wifi networks. On a seperate note when i upgraded Panther to Tiger i used the DVD but with Leopard i dont have a DVD just a dmg image can i upgrade that way or do i have to burn the dmg image to DVDs?

my eMac whenever i shut it down even with a good PVRAM battery will not keep time and date set once i connect to the internet the Apple Time Server will automatically update the time and the date. I have installed Roxio Toast Titanium 10 v 10.0 but when i open the program it says a update is available but the update page it links me to does not have Toast updates. What is the last version to work on PPC Mac?

The only reason that I can think of that would cause the loss of time and date (even with the battery completely removed), would be that you would also be removing power by shutting off a power strip, or unplugging the power cord. If you lose time and date immediately when turning off the power strip, that means that the PRAM battery is no good, even though you think it is new.
Did you test your 'good' battery with a DVM?
That's the only way to tell if the battery is really OK.
Must be more than 3.5 volts - a new battery will be 3.66 volts (give or take a couple of .01)

my eMac whenever i shut it down even with a good PVRAM battery will not keep time and date set once i connect to the internet the Apple Time Server will automatically update the time and the date.
Just because you say that the PRAM (what's PVRAM?) battery is good does not make it so. It sounds like your PRAM battery needs to be replaced.

I have installed Roxio Toast Titanium 10 v 10.0 but when i open the program it says a update is available but the update page it links me to does not have Toast updates. What is the last version to work on PPC Mac?
I was able to reach the Roxio Titanium 10 update in about two mouse clicks. I am downloading it now.

well i pulled the PVRAM battery out of my iMac and last i knew it was a good battery being the fact its a 1/2 AA at 3.6V im not exactly sure how to test it

well i pulled the PVRAM battery out of my iMac and last i knew it was a good battery being the fact its a 1/2 AA at 3.6V im not exactly sure how to test it

If that battery came out of an older iMac, then it's likely dead, too. They have a shelf life of 7 years, I think - and don't last forever.

You can test the battery with a DVM (digital volt meter) - a nice tool to have around... Shops that sell a large variety of batteries might also have a meter available to test those batteries - Radio Shack in the US would always have a meter around for testing various devices.

Why do you continue to ignore your own ability to search?
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=1/2+aa+3.6v+lithium+battery&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://www.amazon.com/Saft-LS14250-AA-3-6V-Lithium/dp/B000BSN6JS

And there's a range of price - http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3795397
or here:
http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/LS14250.html

Would you like to know more about how easy it is to search on the internet?
http://static.googleusercontent.com...gle.com/en/us/pdf/GoogleSearchGuide-front.pdf
The amazing part is how much Google (for example) tries to help as you type a keyword or phrase into your search window. Sometimes, Google finds what you are looking for, before you do!

Back