eMac video problem

toke737

Registered
Hi all,
I have a eMac with purple, grey, and black vertical lines or bars across the whole screen. You can see the boot process behind the lines booting into OS X or OS 9. It's the same in open firmware or booting from a cd. I've zapped PRAM and replaced RAM. Any ideas? 2 months out of warranty.
Bill

have you tested to see if it still does that on a mirrored display? that would at least tell you if the problem is the video card or the crt.

what model emac is it btw? the first gen. 700-800MHz models were known for screens going bad.

blue&whiteman said:
have you tested to see if it still does that on a mirrored display? that would at least tell you if the problem is the video card or the crt.

what model emac is it btw? the first gen. 700-800MHz models were known for screens going bad.

It's a 800MHz model, one of 28 in a lab I admin. I haven't tested the mirrored display, I'll do that 1st thing monday. Thanks for the quick reply.
Bill

Either way, you've got a serious problem that you won't be able to service yourself. It does indeed sound hardware-related, and whether it's the video card or the monitor itself, chances are you're going to need to take it to an Apple Authorized Service Center.

If hooking up an external monitor is a permanent option, and it works correctly, I wouldn't worry about it too much -- or, if you can get it fixed on someone else's bill (work, school, whatever) I would suggest taking it in.

Back